Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI-jazz and 35 scale?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Balor, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Small question over here about ti jazz flat... do they fit 35 inch scale? Anyone familiar here with the normal lenght string with 35in scale. I've had bad suprise with my BTB406 and normal strings, so I feel it's better check before shelling out $70 for strings!

thanks
    PL

2. Yes, they have them for 35' scale basses.

Where are you from?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Canada...

I know that they have extra long sets, though they only seem to sell them in packs of 4 strings. Would a normal set fit for 35in scale? I'll ask this differently. Anyone out there uses TI's 34" strings with a through body string loading system?

thanks
    PL

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have TI Jazz Flats on my Fender '51 RI and it strings through the body. I had to shave some silk on the E string so it would clear the nut, otherwise, no probs.

5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    thanks boogiebass, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Have you tried then on one of fretless 6? I'm looking for a bassier sound for my fretless, though changing pickups might be cheaper in the long run! :)

PL

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Have not tried them on a fretless sixer yet but am VERY tempted! I'm pretty much set with GHS Progressives on my Hanewinckel Pro Nimbus fretless sixer and that's my main fretless sixer and will soon be my ONLY fretless sixer, in fact, as I've sold the Roscoe and the Fodera is soon to leave, too.

I love the strings (and the Powerbass strings, too) and bet they would just kill on a fretless. I have a new fretless fiver (MTD) coming and may well string it up with TI's. I use the Jazz flats on my original '58 P bass as well as the '51 Reissue and they're just about perfect...and the action and feel is to die for. Good luck!

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've heard that TI's will fit some 35' scale basses. You have to measure the length from the bridge to the tuner to see if it will work. I don't think that they work with Modulus Q5's, and q5's seem to have the longest distance from bridge to tuner, so I could see how the TI's would work for most 35'scales.
    What I don't understand is why they don't offer the extra long sclaes in 5 and 6 string sets. I've seen them for the 4 strings. It seems that they are really missing a potential market by not offerring them in longer lengths.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my fretless US Curbow 6 for about a year, and loved the way they sounded. I eventually moved them to my 6 String ABG since the Roto flats were of poor quality, and needed to go. I've got Powerbass on the way for the Curbow, but it's not because I didn't like the Jazz Rounds--I just want to try something different on this bass.

I also used them as the root strings on my 8 string fretless before switching to Powerbass on that one, too. The lower tension of the Jazz Rounds were a better match when played with the octave strings, but it's easier to play flowing lines on the individual strings, and skip the octaves, with the Powerbass.

Jazz Rounds will add some warmth to your fretless, but they and the will still have some zing if you want it. You'll need to use a lighter touch than with most roundwound strings, but it's not that tough. The benefits more than outweigh the awkward period.

Here are a couple of excerpts from some tunes with the Jazz Rounds on my Curbow 6:

With the blues band:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/FiveLongSample.mp3

And, with my jazz trio:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/S4Fsample.mp3

You can really get them to mwah when you want them to (granted, the rockwood fretboard doesn't hurt, either :D).

I heartily recommend you give them a try on your fretless. I'm about to order a set for my 4 string Curbow fretless since I can't stand the thought of not having them on at least one bass!

9. Me too, on my Sting P bass.

Sorry I didn't get back to you Balor. I see you got some help though!

Check with Steve at THE DUDE PIT

He has all the TI's listed and the price is good!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    thanks for the link Treena, very usefull info in there.

PL

11. I use a set of TI's JF345 Jazz Flats on my BTB405. The JF345's are said to be for a 34" scale, but will work on some 35" scale basses. The BTB405 is a 35" scale and the EADG strings are of sufficient length. The B string, however, is very close with just a 1/4" to spare.

12. Steve's a real stand up guy too, he will do what he can to help you out!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I say go to the store where you'll be buying them and ask to hold the strings up to the bass. Most store owners understand that's a big chuck of change to plunk down for strings.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If only more stores carried TI strings.

Dude's forum has the length of string between the silk at both ends. If you have that info, you can figure out if they'll fit on your bass, or not.

And, if you have to shave the silk down, if you dab a small drop of Super Glue on the end of the silk, it'll keep it from unraveling. I do it on my strings, and I don't even cut any of the silk off. I just don't like them to fray at the ends. :bassist:

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dude now has 36" scale 5 string sets of TI flats.

16. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I just listed them too (cat# JF365). Those babies have a .137 B string.

Tom