Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats 5 String set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Luckydog, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'm considering putting a 5 string set of TI Jazz Flats on my Sadowsky J, however, since I've never heard the TI B string, I hesitate to spend such cash on an experiment. Has anyone used the TI jazz flats 5 string set and care to comment?

Are there recommendations for a GREAT 5 string set that has good depth and punch, great B string, won't eat my frets, and sounds great on a J-style bass used fingerstyle for rock and blues?

Thx,
    Luckydog

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I didn't like the B string from the Jazz Flat set at all. I thought it was wolly and stiff. I don't understand why the rest of the set is very light guage, then the B is HUGE!

The top 4 string were interesting ... but I like basic roundwounds better. Nickel roundwounds should be better than stainless about eating your frets.

3. SFB

SFB Guest

It's nice to know I'm not the only person that uses flat wound strings.I have not used a lot of different kinds.
    I am currently using D'Addario Chromes.They are the ECB81-5
    High Finish Ribbon Wound,Soft Gauge,Long Scale.I have them on my Yahama BBN5II.The "B" string is .132.It's big but
    it sounds good.

I don't know how they would sound on a J-style bass but
    if you do try them please let me know what you think.If you find something better let me know.I am a two fingered
    plunker and play old rock,heavy metal and dearly love blues.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass