Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats and Rock

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Feb 26, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I wanted some TBers opinions on using TI Jazz Flats for Rock, Metal or Punk. I've read ALOT of posts on TalkBass regarding TI Flats but most of the TBers seem to be using these (rightfully so) for blues.
    I'm a finger player (5string) and have used flats in the past (steve harris sig, Daddarrio 1/2 wounds, GHS brite flats, EB flats). I liked the tone (especially with the Steve Harris Sig and 1/2 wounds) but I couldn't stand the TENSION!...Jesus were they tight!
    ...So...any rock players out there (fretted) using TI flats? Is the tone bright enough?...I know it won't be as bright as RW.
    Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
    -Bazz-

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cmon....anyone have an opinion on this thread?
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use TI Flats on my Precision with a rock band. It's my backup bass (my main bass is strung with TI rounds), but it definitely has enough high end to cut through the mix.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the reply! As far as tension goes...more or less tension than round wounds?
    Thanks,
    -Barry-

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Less than most varieties of rounds. The only round with less tension is the TI Jazz Round.

6. Tbass66

Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    TI Flats have enough high end for me playing rock..they play/sound great on my warwick thumb but seemed a little to floppy on my ric4003..i will say that they sound much better after wearing them in after a couple weeks...they are a unique sounding/playing string though

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I personally gut used to the tension of Roto 77s quite quickly, then again Harris' signatures are bit heavier than normal 77s. The trick is to lower your action somewhat and use bit lighter technique, me thinks.

That probably doesen't help you very much, but I posted it since I think Roto 77's are the best flats for rock.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've used TIs in the past. I don't really play rock/metal/punk - but I imagine that you'd want a punchier sound than they give.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Everyone....thanks for the input!
    -Bazz-

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    TI Flats are great strings.

For rock, they are fine, except if you really like to dig into your strings.

Their lighter tension demands, IMO, a lighter touch when playing fingerstyle.

If you are playing with a pick, they sound awesome.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They work well in the band I play in which is primarily straight rock (blues influenced). When I put them on my Jazz and my P and the guys were blown away. They liked them better than when I played with rounds. Said it cut through the mix better and sounded more balanced.

Dan