Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats: Any thump?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Jan 1, 2006.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I can't afford to try to many strings (and don't like changing tension on the neck too often), but I'm wondering...
    ...do TI Jazz Flats have much ol' time *thump*?

I play a 6 (Ibanez SR496) and went from Elixir to TI Jazz flats. I got rid of the "piano sound" of the rounds, but the TIs seem to lack that ol' time thump. I'm guessing this is due to the low tension of the TIs, and the nylon inner-wrap.

I'm thinking of trying some Rotosounds (I *think* I can get a 6-string set), but if the problem is my bass, I don't want to bother. My bass-body is (presumably low-end) mahogany, seemingly rather soft; I'm wondering if the problem is as much the wood.

2. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    the ti jazz arent an "oldschool" sounding flat (even though they are an old design)

personally i think they are the best flats out there bar none

they do take a hwile to get used to tho

if it really is old style thump your after, then yes you can get the RS77s in a six string set - theyre heavier and much higher tension

another set i like are the Status Graphite flatwound 6
    theyre shiny, smooth and somewhere in between in terms of tension and sound

the Bass Centre in London also do their "Elites" house brand flats in six string, but i havent got around to trying those

how long have you had the ti set on for tho?

they really can take quite a while to sound their best - most flats are like this to some extent

id want to try a set for at least a month before i gave up on them

cheers
    Lucy

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've had my TI Flats on for about 2 years.

4. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    aha then perhaps they are broken in properly!

give the status set a try then id say

linky

email rob green

hes a good guy to deal with

cheers
    Lucy

5. None that I found. Mine are now 5 years old.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely get rid of the strings. TI's are rounds disguised as flats, and the nylon wrap makes them take forever to go dead. It's not the mahogany. If anything, mahogany makes more of an old school sound.

Stainless steel flats will sound like TI's initially. But they'll at least go dead and sound thumpy in a month or so.