1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz flats - compare to D'Addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Philbiker, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Anybody tried both? Comparisons? I have a pair of Thomastik Jazz flats - thinking of replacing the Chromes I've been using on my Jay Turser single coil P bass copy. How do they compare? I've never tried the TI flats though I know they are highly regarded.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are many buttloads of threads comparing them. :) But anyway my opinion: I recently converted from Chromes to TI's. The Chromes are stiffer, and tonally they start off brighter than the TI's, and darken/warm up noticeably over time, whereas the TI's are reputed not to change so much over time. On a fretless, which is mostly what I'm playing lately, I like the extra flexibility of the TI's. I think on a fretted I'd prefer a stiffer string to avoid fret buzz (although I've read here that a slight change to playing technique can also eliminate fret noise with the TI's). The low B of the TI's has a fuller fundamental tone than the low B of the Chromes, IMO.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The chromes are my second favorite flats, and my current favorite for rock. While Bongomania is correct that they do warm up over time, they are still bright for a flat.

I never liked the TI, but I am suspicious now it is because I don't have a light enough touch. I mainly play rock and rockin' blues now and really like to dig in. The TIs have much less tension.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I echo these sentiments. I hate TI's because they don't go dead. If I wanted roundwounds, I'd buy roundwounds. Chromes are better for me because they have fairly low tension (low enough, anyway) and they go dead, although not as dead as Fenders or LaBellas.

5. This thread has actual sound clips of TI JFs and Chromes for comparison.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I dont know guys we all have different ears. TI's are flats to mine are very woody and uprightish IMO. Yes, they are brighter than most or all flats i have tried including chromes but no where close to a round wound again...IMO.
    TI's tension is right where i would like any flat..perfect to me. I do have to adjust my playing style slightly but these strings like TI's rounds are easy to play and require little pressure to get alot of note.

Chromes warm up and become more buttery to me with good overall mids. They have a true flat sound compaired to TIs. Both are great strings and i have them strung on my P basses. I am going into the studio at the end of the month and will take 3 P bases one with TI jazz flats, One with Chromes and one with TI powerbass rounds. This stable of strings has fit me well with lots of varity.