1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Jazz Flats experiment successful

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BetterBottomEnd, Aug 25, 2007.

1. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    What experiment you say? Well I got home from vacation today and was playing some bass. I've got Jazz Flats on my 5-string jazz and I love the tone but I'm not a big fan of the tension. So I decided for the heck of it to tune my standard 5 set from BEADG to EADGC and its awesome. Although when I tuned the D string up to G it slipped out of the peg hole because it was cut too short so theres a LaBella Jamerson G string in there now till I order a new single. Still I love the feel now and I've always wanted to have a 5 at EADGC.The tension is similar to my LaBella Jamersons but a little bit looser.

2. Wow! You tuned them up a fourth? Just wow...

3. :( I feel sorry for your truss rod!

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Did you wear eye protection?

5. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    I did something similar with my 4 string. I used to be in to really light guages, but when I started to notice that the lack of tension wasn't helping me out, I started tuning up. I was tuned ADGC at one point, then when the strings got floppier and I couldn't afford a new set, I went all the way to standard tuning + 1 octave. I kinda liked the way that felt and sounded.

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Perhaps you have found the secrete to making them playable for those of us who hate the tension; just buy a five string set and toss the G-string. btw, if anyone from TI is listening, one gauge is not right for everyone. Please make some heaver four string gauged sets for the rest of us!

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    I was actually planning on switching them because I just couldn't get over the low tension even though I love the tone. I figured I'd just try it before I took them off. They're a fairly worn set because I got them used but they held up fine. Like I said the D string was cut so short it popped out of the tuner peg but stuck it on another bass and it played fine so I didn't break the core. The tone still is great although not quite the same still really nice.