Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats for ....JAZZ!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 16, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I put some TI JF345's on my Stingray 5 a week ago and I have really been liking them alot. I always thought of flats on an electric bass for R&B or old school types of music but I know lots of folks are using them for lots of different types of music these days and the TI's are very versatile strings and I really like them.

Well, as much as I like TI Jazz Flats I never thought of using them in the US Army Jazz Band that I play in because I usually either use an upright or a rather bright sounding electric bass for more modern stuff. Well today I used my Stingray5 with the TI Flats and man I am impressed. These strings really provide a nice warm tone that just cuts right through the low brass yet stays nicely in the mix. It has some upright qualities in the tone while still retaining an electric bass clarity. My bass is a whole new instrument with these strings. I still like my DR's and Ken Smith Rounds but they are not getting as much playing time these days.

I now know why they are called Jazz Flats. :p

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    hard to guess, huh? ;)

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How is the B string on those jazz flats?

I have an SR5 also and am concidering trading it for a warmer/darker sounding bass.

About the only flats I haven't tried are the TI Jazz Flats.

All the other flats were fine on the E, A, D & G strings but the B string always sounded very undefined.

4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey man, sorry I mised your Q about the B String. Rick the B string on the TI JF345's is solid with lots of clarity down deep. No warbble, just solid and smooth. Never thought I would like flats on a 5 string, but they sound and feel great.

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    No prob man.

I got your post on the other thread.
    Thanks, I'll have to give em a try

6. I have had my TI Jazz FLats about a month now. My playing is at church where I am in the mix with a choir, an electronic piano, an acoustic upright piano, 1 electric guitar player and one acoustic guitar, and ocassionally drums and brass. They really do a fine job and I love the sound. If I am looking for a dead "doghouse bass" sound on an old time gospel number, I can get that with a small turn of a knob on the axe, and when I need to emulate the low strong resonating bass of an elctric organ peddle I can easily get that. They are very versatile with the active pickup electronics on my Ibanez.

7. Scott, how do you like the TI's compared to the Labella Flats?

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I got my jazz flats last night. I strung up my SR5 but it was the kiddies bed time so I didn't get to amp them.

I've got a gig Friday night so I report back on Monday.

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey Treena, you know I like the LaBellas fine for the P Bass Motown/Old School Rock tone and some Latin stuff too but the TI's are a completely different string to me. They are much more versatile and retain a lot of tone and clarity that you dont find in flats in my opinion. But the thing that really knocks me out is the tension of the TI's. I absolutely love the feel of these strings. They are particularly nice for swing. :D

10. Thanks Scott. I asked because I knew how strong you felt about the Labellas and I thought if anyone could give me an honest opinion when comparing the two, it would be you!

I'm happy to see someone of your abilities getting turned on to the TI's.

Hope they work as well for you as the Labellas do! Thanks again for your honesty!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. I think my TI Flats are going to move from my P-bass, to my fretless J. I want the Motown Soun' on the P, and the TI doesn't give it to me.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Armybass,

Last I remember you went TDY for 10+ days. The P-Bass is cool--fretboard is very nice! You may have seen my post.

Thanks!

What were the flatwound strings on it?

JB

13. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    JB, glad you like it man. It is the best MIA P I ever had. I loved it for the Motown and they were LaBella Deep Talking Flats. I loved the tone of those strings on that bass.

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The only flats I can get locally are D'Addario Chromes soft guage (.045 to .100). Can anybody compare these to the LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats?

Also, for those who have used the LaBella flats, what guage did you use? Bonus points if you mention what style of music you used them for :D

15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Sean, I like both the D'Addario's and the LaBella's. I play mostly Motown and Latin with Flats but I do use TI Jazz Flats for......Jazz. The LaBella's that I am fond of is the 760FL's they are the 43-104, just a tad lighter than the 760FS's. THe FL's have black silk and the FS's have red just to be clear.

As far as feel and tension between the two different brands;

The Chromes have a tight tension for a light guage string and have "warm bass, strong mids, and cutting, semi-twangy top" according to the Bass Player Mag String shootout from 1996. I would concur with that assesment and add that I liked the feel of those strings even though they were higher tension and they sounded good on my P Bass for Latin stuff and old school rock.

The LaBella DTF's 760FL's are a medium soft tension and are perfect for copping the Motown Sound with a P Bass. The tension feels great and they are a great string in my opinion. To me the LaBellas 760FL's are like a time machine to 1963. Perfect for Jamerson and Old School Rock too. But a note about the LaBellas. As much as I like the 760FL's, I do not like the 760FS's too much at all. They are very bright soundind and the tension feels much tighter than the 760FL's. They are so bright that I can actually slap on them and you can not tell that I have flats on my bass. Not for me at all

Hope this helps.

16. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Armybass,

That helps a lot! Thanks! I will get a set of the 760FLs. I would also like to try the TI Flats but I think the LaBella's will be a better fit right now.

Interesting.... I have a bass with roundwounds that I might be able to replace with the 760FS flats. I love the feel of flatwounds. And I think feel is very important to get good sound.

Now talking about Brooker T and the MGs ;) What position would you play Green Onions at?

17. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Painful as it may be....I play it in first position. Assuming you are playing it in F. :)

18. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I play along to the original recording, it sounds closer to the original if I play in the 8th position. But everyone seems to play in the first.

Anyway, after deciding on the LaBella's, it looks like I will be getting the TI Jazz flats. Why? I didn't mention that the bass is medium scale since I usually just string long scale strings. This usually means a very weak E string. However, I notice the TI's have a short scale version with a very thick E (.106 rather than .100 for the long scale). I am hoping this will beef up the E and since the TI's where also highly recommended, why not? Since I will have to order online anyway, I might as well get the correct strings. I am just checking that short is also good for medium.

19. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Well Sean, you really can not go wrong with TI's in my book. I have no experience with short or medium scale strings so I am of little help in that area.

BTW, You have a beautiful city there in Ottawa. I was stationed at Ft Drum for 5 years and we were right on the border. I used to take my family to Kingston, Ontario and Ottowa when ever we wanted to go out. I love Canada and miss it very much. Ottawa is lovely.

20. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I've been using TI Jazz Flats for the last year or two on my Fender P Bass. I like the feel of them, the clarity, and the sound. I mostly play jazz, swing, funk, standards, latin, and church gigs. I haven't been playing much rock for the last year. When I played in a rock band (more 70's, 80's rock) last year, I used the TI jazz flats and the sound seemed right for the gigs.

I just got a new Ibanez bass, and couldn't wait to get the Elixir strings off and the TI jazz flats on. Tranformed the bass from great to awesome. More clarity, more solid sound.

I was just curious if anyone out there is using TI jazz flats for rock styles and if I have the opportunity to play more rock, would I be better off using roundwounds?