1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Flats - Gauge Comparison To Other Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrjim123, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    To those who have tried TI jazz flats, as well as other brands of flats -

Because the TIs have a lower string tension compared to other flats, do you use a higher gauge than you would with other flats?

I've always played light gauge rounds (roughly 40-100) and am wondering what TI jazz flat gauge would give me a similar string tension.

2. They only come in one gauge.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    The long scale TI 4 string set comes in one gauge only. Not quite sure what the question is?

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    As mentioned, they only come in one gauge, and you will not know if you like them until you try them. :)

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I think I get your question and yes they are heavy gauge. They are thick but slick cables. I use them on a Carvin 5 and they are great for R&B and jazz stuff. It does take some getting used to. They are great strings.

6. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Musician's Friend lists these two:

JF364: 44-57-72-96
    JF344: 43-56-70-100

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Short scale vs. long scale.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The JF364 is for longer scale basses. The 36 in the model # is length, and the 4 is number of strings.

The gauges are different, I assume, to compensate for the longer length. I have a set of the JF364 on my Yamaha TRB1004, and I can't tell any difference from the JF344s I have played.

They are, essentially, the same strings.

9. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Eh, save some money and use Fender or GHS flats. I've tried both and they feel and sound fine.

Besides, the name "Thomastik-Infeld" or whatever is just too pretentious.

10. don't agree with waynobass. TI jazz flats are the finest strings around, i have them on all my basses. it's not about saving money, but about getting into a groove by playing on outstanding strings that feel good and sound fantastic. the fender and GHS can't touch TI's IMHO!!! der basskopf

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Two things :

1. Have you tried TI's ?

2. Thomastik/Infeld is simply the names of the people who make these strings. It's like saying "Fender" sounds too pretentious. :D

12. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    ...bloody Austrians :rollno: I'm sure they must have first names like Otto or Franz or something equally pretentious!!

13. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    No. I haven't touched a set of flats since 1975 - my new Ripper then came with flats and they stayed on for less than a week, when I switched to rounds.

14. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

You must be thinking of another string. The TIs are quite light. If you can get used to the guage they feel very nice, though. Great tone, too. They are roundcore and have a nylon wrap between the core and the outer metal wrap. Very sweet and mellow with a well defined fundamental. Give them a try.

Matt

15. basscandle

basscandle

Jun 26, 2007
    Va.Beach area
    Wow, a Ripper with flats...........That must have sounded like a cardboard box.

TI Flats are the way to go, hands down. They just sound better than any other flat string in my opinion, and they even sound better the longer thay stay on your bass!

16. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Get the TIs, don't trim the silks, use them.

If you hate them, sell them here...they go pretty quick.

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    TIs are very low tension and have a great mid range sit in the mix sound. They do however lack low end compared to other strings. Labella 760FLs are a nice alternative. They are still on the low tension side of things for flats (but not as low at TIs) and have a deeper low end. I have a Jazz Bass with TIs that I will probably never change and a P bass with Labella 760FLs. Its nice to have choices. In my limited experience I tend to like TIs on rosewood and 760FLs on maple boards.

18. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Ripper has quite a punchy, midrangey tone, nothing like the EB series basses. I've owned both. I've even considered putting flats back on my Ripper.

19. Well, at least you spelt it correctly...

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And the B string is, get this, a .136. Go figure.