1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Flats.... I finally got them, and now I "get it!"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by musicman556, Nov 19, 2019.

1. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    For a long time, I had read about how great those Tomastik Infeld Jazz Flatwound strings are, but have never played them. Every time I thought about buying them, the near $100 price tag (here in the USA, anyways) was too much to just try out. Heck, the P bass copy I was going to put them on only cost me $60! I have had a set of Dunlop .45-.105 flats on there for about a year. They were fine, I figured. I haven't had any other experience with flats, so no real reference points.

A couple months ago, I believe it was someone here on TB, or it may have been at slickdeals.net, posted about a seller offering them for about $35 on Amazon. The JF344 set, .43-.100. Now THAT'S a different story altogether! I ordered them and waited a couple weeks, as they shipped from the UK.

Last week I finally got around to putting them on my ol' Samick P copy (I put in a Fender Original P pickup and fresh CTS 250k pots awhile back) and set 'er up. Just a little intonation tweak for the different gauge was all that was necessary. The action didn't need much change, I just barely raised the string height of the A and D strings after some playing for a little fret buzz reduction. But MAN! They feel GREAT!!!! SSSOOOOOOO SMOOOOTTTHHHH!!!!! Like... RIDICULOUS smooth! They don't do that annoying little "roll" under the fingers under vibrato like the Dunlops had a tendency to do sometimes. And they sound great from minute one. I pulled the tone down about halfway. Maybe as they wear in I'll pull less tone out as they "dull in" on their own.

I also like the feel/snap/bounce of the strings. They're FUN to play! Pluck towards the neck and you get a really delightful, thick thump. Something about the tension also makes those fast little staccato rolls extra satisfying.

After years of WANTING to try these strings, and now finally having them, I would have paid $100 for this experience years ago if I knew how great it would be. Am I thankful that I paid a third of that price? ABSOLUTELY! They show $55 from the same seller on amazon right now, and I have a fretless P neck on the way tomorrow. I plan to have a body for it soon, and will happily buy another set for it.

What say you guys? I'm sure people feel differently, too. Did anyone else wait forever to try them? Were you happy with them or disappointed?

2. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Cool! Do you already know which hydrating cream you will use? :smug:

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Great news about the TI's! Now, if you like them, you'll have to try La Bella LTF's. They're even better:D.

GitmoMango, Selim, Novarocker and 5 others like this.
  4. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Hahaha! Grabbing a bucket of chicken on the way home...

MobileHolmes, scottm and Vinny_G like this.
  5. Yeah...don't be doing that, especially to a nice set of strings. That's just plain silly.

dagrev, PWRL, DJ Bebop and 7 others like this.
  6. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Some prefer them like that. It does not upset me at all, I can even understand why. I just find it amusing. :)

musicman556 and quickfix like this.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    No six string set, no cigar.

Which is too bad because I would love to try them...

Arthur U. Poon and musicman556 like this.
  8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I was running TI D & G string along with Labella LTF BEA.

Groove Doctor and musicman556 like this.
  9. Horses for courses. I have 15 year old TIs on my P and La Bella LTFs on my Cirrus 5. The La Bellas work better than the TIs on the Cirrus, but the TIs will stay on my P until hell freezes over.

10. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    The TI's are much louder with a pick than the LTF's. I learned this by mixing the two. They are much more compatible finger style.
    I don't really know exactly why but I believe it's more mids.

Iofflight and musicman556 like this.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think TI don't do endorsement deals.
    I like that and if the strings on my main bass ever die, I think TI flats will be next.

musicman556 likes this.
  12. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    The fact they last forever is probably the icing on the cake....

13. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I love TI JF344s. I have a set on my P bass, and they’re 4 years old. If my EBMM with rounds is like driving a race car, the P with TIs is like driving a big old Cadillac. :cool:

pellomoco14, wideload and musicman556 like this.
  14. You can get six string sets, but the C isn't great. I find it a bit nasal.

I got into TIs when I bought a used bass which had them fitted. That was over 20 years ago. I have been a believer ever since.

DJ Bebop and musicman556 like this.
  15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Now that's interesting. Double bassists mix sets all the time, we don't for some reason.

I take it that combination works well for you? I would assume the LTFs would be darker in tone.

pellomoco14 and musicman556 like this.
  16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    They came on my used 2014 blonde vintage style MIJ ash P-bass with SD pickups or I wouldn't have known how great they sound. I priced a 4-string set for $72 usd so likely I'd never have tried them. So smooth and easy to play. I expect to play them until the heat death of the universe.

pacojas and musicman556 like this.
  17. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I like your analogy. I just put a set on my G&L L1000 and they sound great. Everyday I play them they sound better than the day before! Meanwhile, I also threw a set of TI Power Bass round wounds on my L2000 and they’re a blast as well, they just couldn’t be more different than the flats.

18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Your experience mirrors the one I had with Jazz Flats about 12 years ago. They’re a phenomenal product and I’d recommend them to anyone.

pacojas, musicman556 and okabass like this.
  19. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Mirrors my experience... I was like "Duh, why didn't I try those before now"

musicman556 and Skillet like this.
  20. Never tried them, but I'm curious. Someday, perhaps.