TI Jazz Flats--Not for Me

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LizardKing3, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I recently tried out a set of these strings. They sounded great, but just weren't what I was looking for. (I had them put on a new bass I bought, so I'm not sure what gauge they are, they feel medium-ish).

Guess I'm a roundwound guy.

Anyway, I've decided that since some people here use these strings for years at a time, I'd give them away.

I also decided that a contest for them would be fun. So, whoever can come up with the coolest video-game themed bass/bass paint job gets the strings (don't worry, I'm gonna cover the shipping).

(Don't use any of Jean Baudin's basses, that would be an instant win. Can't have that :p )

Extra points to original creations.

Do you think a day is long enough? I'm not looking for hardcore art, just something to make me feel better for giving away $50.

Have fun. :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I couldn't stand the TI Jazz Flats myself. I tried for 3 months to like them, but I only grew to hate them more and more. But there are lots of TI fanatics on here and I'm sure you'll get something for your $50.
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I didn't like TI Flats either. I had only used them on a few fretless, but both times I found them to be too "muted" sounding.

I use Labella Medium Flats on my jazz and I'm very happy with them.
  4. I've had these for about 4 months now, I don't hate them..it's just that I slapped on a set of rounds that had to be at least a year old, and I liked those more. :p
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I liked mine, but I found that I liked roundwounds better-IMHO they cut thru a lot better in a live situation.

I don't hate them, but I'm not going back to them.
  6. [​IMG]

Well.. I couldn't totally forfill your request , but I was told by my uncle that this particular guy idolized his youthidol Kirby (Kirby's Dreamland - Gameboy) so much, that he painted a cute looking kirby on his Airbassguitar.

This one to be exact:

Yes, he is also wearing a "Hello Kitty" armor (as he calls it), but that is because he couldn't choose between the two idols from his youth. He liked the videogame more though.. You have to be inaugurated in their community to actually see the bassguitar. I'm sorry, my uncle says he is accepted and for the fact you don't believe me; my uncle was in the jury of the latest Air Bassguitar Championship (which, ofcourse, is fairly new).

There aren't many videogame painted basses on google.. atleast, I couldn't find them.. but hé! I gave it a try ;p
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Oh well, more TI's for me. :D

I worship TI jazz flats as the perfect string. :hyper:
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    This is a front runner. I just saw clips of the "Hello Kitty" game. Sick, sick sweet.
  9. I dig the pants. :smug:
  10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Another HUGE TI Flats fan, just not sure what you're asking. I'm an old fart.
  11. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005

uhh.. its bass and video-game related.. close enough?
  12. My photoshop skills have degenerated in the year that I never used them, apparently.

I'd love to have a Tails bass. Tails never got the recognition he deserved; people never played as him because you couldn't become Super Tails like you could become Super Sonic...

13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think that one's awesome!
  14. Ditto, fan-wise I'd have to choose the tails-bass...but the Zelda bass is just sexy. So the Zelda bass prevails, for now.

I can't ship the strings until Monday, So i'll pick a winner Saturday night/Sunday morning.
  15. the glurmo from "futurama" and "pacman" guitar....
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I ordered some TI flats the other day.woot.
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Where were you guys before this thread?
    I finally bought into all the stellar reviews & ordered a set about a month ago...put 'em on my pre-CBS P & hadda take them off after 2 weeks.
    Granted, I'm not too much of a flatwound fan; I would have to say these are possibly the worst sounding strings I have ever bought in 30+ years. Too, I was not thrilled with their 'feel'.
    For now, I'll keep either Lakland or D'Addario flats on my TV bass.

Caveat: I didn't try playing the bass with the T1s in a band situation...perhaps they sit in the mix better than shedding solo in the room?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Regardless of where they might sit in the mix (and to be honest, they sat in there pretty well, althought it was more like how rounds sit in the mix), you still have to like them. And believe me, I felt the same way you did. TI lovers are extremely loyal and intense about their love of the Jazz Flats, and it wasn't until after I tried them and hated them that I actually saw people with enough nerve to admit they didn't like them. And to this day, some of the people I say I didn't like them to swear there's something wrong with me and not the strings. Well sorry, but I prefer actual flats and rounds to rounds with a flat outer winding.
  19. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey

The tuning pegs are "metroids" :)