Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats on a 5er 35"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MonkeyWrench32, Aug 17, 2002.

1. I'd like to get a set of TI Jazz Flatwound strings for my MTD Kingston. At juststrings.com they have a 5 set in the 34" scale. Will these work on a 35" scale? My bass is not a string-through one (in case you weren't familiar with Kingstons). If I have to use a 36" scale can somebody point me in the direction to where I can get a set?

2. They work just fine on my Modulus.

3. Currently, TI doesn't make a 'B' in a scale longer than 34". Steve's been after them for years to do a 35" set, as have many others I'm sure. The 34" set works for some 5 string basses, and is to short for others. Take a measurement from the string that's currently on there: the length from the front of the ball end to the point where it's fully past the nut. I'll check the measurements on a 'B', and we'll see if it'll work on your bass. I might not be back in to work until monday, but when I am I'll open up a set and measure the 'B' for you. Unless Thomguy pops in and has the measurements handy...

mike
    dude's roadie

4. It's about 36". :(

Anybody know of any good substitutes for TI Jazz Flats?

5. If it's only 36", you may just be in luck. Remember, a string set made for a 34" scale isn't going to be 34" long, there's quite a lot more string there. I don't have a set of Jazz flats with me at home, but I popped open one of my sets of Powerbass and measured the E from ball end to silk for a rough guess as to what a B might be like, and it's over 37" from ball to silk, and that's without any stretching from installation (seems to account for at least 1/8"), or shaving of silks. I'll double-check at work tomorrow with one of our in-stock sets, but I'm thinking you have pretty decent odds.

mike
    dude's roadie

6. You know the saying "When you assume you make an ass out of u and me"? Well there you go. :p

I hope your findings at work will be good ones. :)

Thanks!

7. Just popped open one of our sets of JF345 and measured the Low B. From the ball-end to the headstock silk, I got a hair under 37". If you're getting roughly 36" from ball to nut, sounds like you're in pretty good shape.

mike
    dude's roadie