1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Jazz Flats on a 5er 35"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MonkeyWrench32, Aug 17, 2002.

1. I'd like to get a set of TI Jazz Flatwound strings for my MTD Kingston. At juststrings.com they have a 5 set in the 34" scale. Will these work on a 35" scale? My bass is not a string-through one (in case you weren't familiar with Kingstons). If I have to use a 36" scale can somebody point me in the direction to where I can get a set?

2. They work just fine on my Modulus.

3. Currently, TI doesn't make a 'B' in a scale longer than 34". Steve's been after them for years to do a 35" set, as have many others I'm sure. The 34" set works for some 5 string basses, and is to short for others. Take a measurement from the string that's currently on there: the length from the front of the ball end to the point where it's fully past the nut. I'll check the measurements on a 'B', and we'll see if it'll work on your bass. I might not be back in to work until monday, but when I am I'll open up a set and measure the 'B' for you. Unless Thomguy pops in and has the measurements handy...

mike
    dude's roadie

4. It's about 36". :(

Anybody know of any good substitutes for TI Jazz Flats?

5. If it's only 36", you may just be in luck. Remember, a string set made for a 34" scale isn't going to be 34" long, there's quite a lot more string there. I don't have a set of Jazz Flats with me at home, but I popped open one of my sets of Powerbass and measured the E from ball end to silk for a rough guess as to what a B might be like, and it's over 37" from ball to silk, and that's without any stretching from installation (seems to account for at least 1/8"), or shaving of silks. I'll double-check at work tomorrow with one of our in-stock sets, but I'm thinking you have pretty decent odds.

mike
    dude's roadie

6. You know the saying "When you assume you make an ass out of u and me"? Well there you go. :p

I hope your findings at work will be good ones. :)

Thanks!

7. Just popped open one of our sets of JF345 and measured the Low B. From the ball-end to the headstock silk, I got a hair under 37". If you're getting roughly 36" from ball to nut, sounds like you're in pretty good shape.

mike
    dude's roadie