TI jazz flats on an MTD 535??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ganttbos, May 21, 2002.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Tried this experiment and the TI's actually sound pretty cool. Yes they have plenty of high end, yes you can still slap them.
    But here's the interesting part for me. Certain patterns that I play include a note on the G-string that is easily played without a shift in the frethand position. But the pattern sounds more even and much better when the note is played on the D-string, which requires a big (and in some cases very quick) hand-position shift. Thirty years ago I used Labella flats on my jazz bass and I hear myself on tape playing these licks that, when I try them now, sound really string-noisy when I try the big hand jump on roundwounds. Flats are so quiet that it works. Now obviously my technique is better now than a long time ago, but I sure enjoyed playing last night with my fret-hand flying around doing stuff that would make a technique freak cringe :D
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know exactly what you are talking about.

I put TI Jazz Flats on my US Curbow Int'l Petite 5 string with a high C. I love playing chords and shifting them all around with the flats. No string noise, so the options of what I can do are greatly increased. I've still got rounds (TI Powerbass...) on some of my basses, but I am about to order a set of TI flats for my 6 string, too.

And, if you think you like 'em now, wait 15 months. :D
  3. Let's bring back an ancient thread with 2 responses! Anybody have thoughts on this? I might put these strings on my 635. Big leap for 100 bucks.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Oldest thread I've seen bumped in a while...

5. chunkstyle

Nov 14, 2003
    I'm too ham-fisted to play TI flats on a 34" scale bass. The strings sound amazing but I just need a little more tension.

I once put TI flats on a Modulus Quantum 6 and the extra inch in scale length brought the tension up just enough to make them playable for me... and what amazing tone!!

For the life of me, I can't remember why I changed them or what I did with that $90 set of strings...