1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Flats on Thumb BO 4

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Way1994, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Anyone use TI Jazz flats on thumb bo 4? If so what do you think of the sound? Better than DTF of Labella?

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    My favourite application for TI flats was with a Warwick Streamer Standard. The bass was German made but they soon used the same design with the Rockbass line. The bass had the two low output humbucking pickups. I sold it to my brother in law a few years ago because he loved using the bass for recording metal tracks.

The TI flats brought out the woodiness of the bass the most out of any strings I tried. There was something wonderfully complimentary about the mid range of the bubinga (or was it ovankol) fretboard and the mid range of the TIs.

I never liked TI flats with an active circuit in the bass. If your Thumb has an active/passive option, I would definitely consider the TI flats.

3. Hi Muckaluck, have you tried TI Flats on other Warwicks?

I ask because I'm searching for the best Warwick to give me the traditional old school, P Bass with flats tone. I completely neglected the Streamer Standard and instead was debating on either buying a Corvette $$, or installing them on my Streamer LX (PJ Bass) and using it in passive mode - or maybe taking the active electronics out together and putting in passive tone knobs.

But your post made me think maybe the Streamer Standard is the best way to go.

Thanks

4. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Hi Matthew,

No I haven't tried TI flats on other Warwicks.

I would think that going with your Streamer LX would be the best way to go to get closest to the traditional P bass sound (as it has the split coil P pickup). My Streamer Standard was much more compressed sounding than a P bass (which can be good or bad).

Alternatively you could just get a budget P bass copy like a Squier P or a Xavier P copy. If you upgrade the pickup you can have a classic P for around $250.