TI Jazz Flats Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Mar 15, 2005.

1. turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I have been reading through the threads about the TI Jazz Flats and was wondering if those would be suitable for rock. I currently have Sunbeams on my bass and love them but after reading so many good things about the TI Flats have started to consider trying one out. So again my question would be how these strings sound for rock? Will have punch or just a lot of thump?
  2. I had a set of TI Jazz Flats on one of my Reverends for a while, and I didn't think they were good for rock. More thump than punch, for sure. I've recently played bassmonkeee's Custom Shop Precision, which has D'Addario Chromes on it, and I think those would be good flats for rock.
  3. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I agree with the above. I had ti flats on a pbass that i was using for rock. They were a bit woody sounding for me. I switched to Chromes and love them, good thump and definition. The chromes are a little tighter than the ti's also. Just my personal preference, some on here like the ti's for rock or all around playing.
  4. How do you think the TI would do on a Jazz bass. Would it lend a bit less growl?
  5. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    a LOT less growl. you might not even know its a jazz bass. i would go with GHS bright flats; feel like flats, with a bit of high end and even some growl.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also check out D'Addario Chromes (brighter) or Rotosound Flatwounds a la Steve Harris.
  7. turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Cool, thanks guys for all your help, I just got my new bass in last week and want to put on a good set of strings on it. I think I will try out the GHS brite flats first and see how they sound.
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    To take Dave Siff's point a little further, it's not about a good flat string rock tone. It's about whether you like punch or thump in your rock tone. That is the most essential difference between your Sunbeams and Flats. If you like punch you will be disappointed with Flats (TI or otherwise). If you want your rock tone more thumpy then you'll be every happy with Flats.
  9. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive just put TI's back on my HW1 Jazz because i didnt like the D'darrio XL's i put on. it might be that the D'darrio's were a heavier gauge but im now thinknig what if i get some Chromes in the same gauge as the TI's. would i get a punchier sound than the TI's (i know it wont sound like rounds) and maybe a bit more sparkle? if so does this last or would they go dull after a while?
    Thanks for any advice

10. Good point. The music I was playing at the time required punch and cut from the bass, and the Jazz Flats didn't give me that. But, for other styles of music, including lower-volume rock, they sound great.
  11. turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

that is a good point. well like i stated earlier, i love my sunbeams just looking for something different and wanted to try out flats. I guess I should of changed the heading to "flatwounds for rock" or something. my band is playing this fri nite..i better decide quickly...what to do....too many decisions... :eek:
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    TUTB - "Too many decisions" Great point. Round/Flat/Nickel/Steel/Active/Passive/Wood/Carbon/4/5/6/ etc, etc, etc.

How often do we lose sight of the fact that ALL the early classic recordings were done on either a Fender Jazz or Precision with Flats!!

How things have changed.