TI Jazz flats question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jbroad572, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I remember quite a few people saying that these strings were somewhat loose. I installed some on my Brice HXB405 fretless and they are quite firm and tight and high tension. I did by the 34" scale strings (my bass is 35" scale) and they fit fine and I had more than enough length when I strung them. I was hopping they'd be looser than what they are.
  2. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    that's probably because you have put on a 34" set, then the string will be tighter turned to pitch...normally these strings are LOOSE...you will have a problem with finding looser strings than the TI Jazz series...
  3. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I was guessing that was the reason. I guess I can't do anything about it now though, since I've already strung up my bass. :(
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Why change them? Once these strings mellow out they will rule you!!!!!!!!
  5. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I love the sound I am getting, they are just not as loose as I was anticipating, they are actually quite tight. I can live with it, but I was hoping they'd be looser, like I said.
  6. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Well, if thats the case, they are tuned and tight. Wish they were looser, but oh well... I will just deal with it.
  7. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Oops, I went to edit my message (I wanted to reword part of it) and accidentally deleted it :rollno:, good thing Jbroad quoted it.
  8. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I was just assuming that the two sets were the same gauge, now that I look into it I see that the "super-long" scale set is actually a higher gauge than the 34" set! If you had purchased the 35/6" set the tension would be even higher!
  9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I heard that they were just looser than other flats and that flats in general were pretty tight.

But then I've heard lots of things.....

TIJF's are the only flats I've used but I will say that I love them on my P.

10. If you tune down half a step or so, you will get a tension and sound more TI-like. I tune my 35 and a half inch bass a whole tone down as I don't like the high tension normal tuning gives you on the TIs with longer scales. TIs are VERY sensitive to tension differences. Try tuning down and see how you like the sound.
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    To me, TI Jazz Flats have about the same tension as round-core roundwound strings.
  12. As far as measurements go, the TI Jazz Flats are very close to GHS Boomer B52 Alloy 52, and a few pounds tighter than TI Jazz Rounds, which are the lowest tension strings I have in my spread sheet.

Download my spread sheet, which has a lot of tension measurements in the STRINGS section.