Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats revisited...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Last night I thought I would dig out my TI Jazz flats and put them back on my P-Bass.

For the last two years, I've been playing with roundwounds...getting that kind of deep, punchy bass sound ala Head East, Kansas, etc.

But since my roundwounds have all gone dead and I didn't really want to go out and buy another set, I thought I'd throw the TI's back on.

I am so impressed with the brightness and tone! With my new band, I'm using a pick more than fingerstyle now (I go both ways :eek: ) and I am in love with these strings all over again.

They are almost roundwound in tone...and that's saying alot for a flatwound string. Obviously they don't ring out like a roundwound, but they still have a ton of brightness and they really make the low notes very tight.

I play in a classic rock/variety cover band with a lot of gigs throwing in some country and Motown classics as well. I would say that half the tunes we do, (with the roundwounds) I cut my highs a bit and mute the strings...so the flatwounds will come in handy for those. But after going through our set list last night, I tried out the other half of the songs that usually sound better with the clear ring of roundwounds...and damned if the TI Jazz Flats don't sound too bad for a flat wound on those songs. They aren't the same tonally, yet they are bright enough to hold their own on those songs.

I've been wanting to go to a lighter gauge string and I love the feel of these. They are not as "rubbery" as everyone claims they are. They feel tight, but not overly tight. Very playable.

I'll have to let y'all know how they do on my gig tomorrow night.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I still have a set of TI flats sitting around. I'm down to three basses right now, but have two more on the way in and once they arrive I'll definitely put the TI flats on one of them.

I agree with you: the top-end response from these flats is impressive. I brought a TI-strung bass to rehearsal with my rock band and had to play the Chili Peppers' Aeroplane. I was amazed at how lively the TI's sounded when slapped.

Now, I think the top-end response is why some hardcore vintage flats guys ("the deader the better") don't like TI's. I'm definitely not a hardcore vintage flatwound guy!

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'd agree with you...I'm not a "vintage flatwound" kind of guy either.

I love the bright sound of rounwounds...but I also love the smooth feel of flats. The fact that these "flats" are so bright appeals to me. I'd never confuse the TI Jazz Flats with a roundwound, but they do have way more definition than other flatwounds.

I'm really interested in how they sit in the mix live with my band. I play in a classic rock band and for the most part harmonics and other subtleties aren't something I'm going to notice onstage anyway. Playing alone in my house, The TI flats almost seem too bright (if you can even say that about a flatwound)...but by the same token, alot of the bright, zingy sound of roundwounds I love just gets lost in the mix live anyway.

The TI Jazz Flats seem to have way more definition and clarity on the low notes than any other roundwounds I've tried. So while roundwounds are bright, live they don't really add anything that I feel these flats don't. Plus, I think the TI's will tighten up the low notes much more.

I guess we'll see.

4. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    I just put a set of TI Flats on my SX SJB-75C last night.

AMAZING.

I'm getting everything from a deep thump to crisp highs, and these babys are soooooo easy on the fingers! (Switched out the Rotosounds) I think I found my new favorite string.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have a set on my 62 jazz. It is a great bass. But would it would get lost in dense mixes. As a result of excessive fret wear I threw on a set TI Flats. These are the only flats I have ever played. And I found perfection.

Dave

6. mrjay

mrjay

Feb 1, 2005
    I had TI Flats on my Jazz Frettless with EMGs. They sounded great. The only problem was I accidentially bought short scale and the G string would slip. So in a rush, the store only had D'addario Chromes which I don't like as much. Less Mwa and more mid-rangy. I'm looking forward to TI Flats again once the Chromes are worn out!

7. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Ken, which bass did you have the TI's on?........PLEASE tell me it was one of your RBV's!!!!!!! And did those strings punch thru the mix? I have been told by quite a few people NOT to bother using TI flats on my RBV.

Steve

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I played my gig last night with the P-Bass strung up with TI Jazz flats.

I got through one set and during the break, I couldn't wait to rip 'em off and throw on some roundwounds...any roundwounds.

The TI Jazz Flats have a wonderful tone at home or in a controlled studio...but playing out live with them? Instead of being tight (well, it was tight...too tight)...my sound was just choked...like I was playing an air bass, almost non-existent, no matter how loud I turned up or tried to dial in a pleasing sound.

I do like the sound of them for a studio environment. But I need more sustain and openness playing out live...like I get with a roundwound.