TI Jazz Flats Saved My Beater Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Mar 18, 2006.

1. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I just picked up a Fender Jaguar and was getting ready to part with my Ibanez SR400, from which I have never been able to get quite the tone I wanted. It was my first bass and I will always have a place in my heart for it, but I figured I wouldn't be playing it much anymore so I might as well get something for it. I recently ended a six month love/hate affair with TI jazz flats on my RKB, opting for La Bella DTB flats instead. I loved the tone of the TI's, but the low tension didn't really agree with my technique.

Anyway, just for craps and laughs, I decided to try the Jazz Flats on my SR before getting it ready for sale. End result: the SR has been saved from the auction block. The TI's sound better than anything I have tried on the SR before, which is no real surprise. What is surprising to me is how much more playable they are on the SR than the RKB. For some reason, I am able to set the action much lower on the SR than I was able to on the RKB. I can play them more aggressively than I could on the RKB, even with the lower action. The SR is now a blast to play, and it sounds fantastic.