Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz Flats Tension. Not so slack after all.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, May 15, 2005.

1. After wating a week to put them on my fretless, and everyday reading on here how slack they are and how its playing on rubber blands and ****, I was really worried. WHATS UP WITH THAT MAN?! They aren't that low tension at allllllllllll....

I've had rotosounds, DR Low Riders, D'dario and this seems about the same to me.

Were the tension comments just really picky bass players who notice 0.0000001kg tension differences?

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    They feel a little looser than most regular gauge rounds, IMO.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

I agree. I have them on my Wendler fretless and they don't feel THAT much different than my DR Highbeams.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Compared to most round wounds you're right. Compared to most flat wounds, however, they feel a lot looser.

5. The first set I ever used had the E string seem a little 'rubberbandish' however the 2nd set did not. I think it depends on what you are doing and your technic.

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've used TI flats on one of my Jazz basses for several years. While they do have lower tension than most of the others brands that I've used, I wouldn't describe them as "floppy". I've even tuned them down 1/2 step and never really noticed much difference.

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I guess it's just what you're used to. I've used LaBella flats for many years and recently tried the TI flats. Personally, I prefer the LaBella's and have switched back, but the TI's aren't bad at all. I would never put them in the rubber band category :rollno:

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I never understood the floppy loose statements either. I guess I just don't have the problem with TI flats. They are all that will ever grace my SR5. I can tune them down a step and they still feel good to me. I am not a bass scientist. I am a player so... if I can play the thing make it sound like I want. I am happy

tk

9. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    It may not be as much of a difference as you might think from the comments, but they are lower tension strings for sure. When I replaced the roundwounds that came on my G&L SB-2 with a P sized neck, they all bottomed out on the higher frets because the neck was bowed backwards. I let off the truss rod tension a bit and everything has been fine since.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Anyone else think they might be about just a little looser than a light set of DR HiBeams?

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It seems to me that part of the confusion might be that T.I.J.F. don't really feel like lower tension to your plucking hand, but the rubberband-y feel is on the fretting hand, where you can feel the frets go under your fingers, or how close you are to a fret.

They seem to feel rubbery between the frets, but NOT so much across their full length.

Make sense?

Joe

12. I use TIJF's on my Lightwave fretless and they're not at all rubber bandish. And yesterday I installed a Hipshot Drop-D tuning machine and even with the E tuned down to D there's no flabbiness. :bassist:

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    It's not really a "flabbiness" to me-- they just seem to be less stiff or more flexible than other strings.

I do manage to pull the G off the fretboard once in a while, though...