1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Flats tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Misanthropologi, Mar 18, 2009.

1. My bass is currently strung with Nickel heavy grade (.50)Elites, but it's coming up to time to replace them. Although I'm pretty happy with the Elites, I'm very tempted to try out some flats for the first time, and from what I've read (and heard) on the the forum, the TI Jazz Flats look to be just what I want. However, they appear to be available in one tension only, and I've seen several references to them being pretty low-tension strings. What I'm wondering is whether that's in relation to other flats only, or if they feel light compared to rounds, too.

I keep my bass tuned to DGCF, and would really like to know how the TI's are likely to compare to my current string tension. I don't replace strings often, and I don't want to be stuck with something that I'm not happy with. Obviously. :)

Thanks for any help.

2. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    TI JFs are extremely low tension and only come in one guage. I'm not sure they'd work so well on bass tuned a whole step down.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    They feel much looser than most rounds, too. You might want to try some D'addario Chromes. They have a few different gauges to choose from, too.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If you're gonna be downtuning, TI's aren't what you want. Chromes will hold tension tuning down a lot further than TI's. In fact, most any string will hold tension better tuning down than TI's :p

Don't get me wrong, they're great strings and I love them, but downtuning ain't their strong suit. But Chromes, like I said, will probably work very well. And be a lot cheaper.

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The TI flats sound great but are very low tension. I found that I could notice when I was even slighty flat due to the tension making the strings floppy to the point that I had difficulty playing them. Even when they were up to pitch I was forced to play next to the bridge for anything faster than quarter notes. They are lower tension than most but not all rounds IME. I stuck with them for 6 months or so because they really do sound great.

Chromes sound a little more like a flat to my ear with some upper mids added into the mix. Tonally I liked the TI's better, but the chromes won out due to playability. I'm off my flat kick now, but I'd probably go back to chromes if the flat bug bit again.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I am using Chromes and am tuned down a half-step. The Chromes hold up wonderfully in this tuning. Even when I do a drop-D song (which is really drop C# on in this tuning), the low E doesn't feel overly loose or flexible. They aren't super-tight either, but they will definitely hold a lower tuning, especially if you go with the .050-.105 gauge.

I've never played TI Jazz Flats because I hate floppy strings. The clips of them that I've heard sound great, but I don't think they would work for me in standard tuning, much less drop-tuning.

7. Thanks everyone. Looks like the TI's aren't for me after all, which is a shame. :( (Unless I buy a five-string pack, and discard the thinnest. :D )

The Chromes do look good, too (though the UK prices I've found aren't that much different from the TI's), so I'll probably end up getting a set of those. I was sort of hoping to get some nickel flats, though, just because I find nickel roundwounds so very much better to play than steel. Smooth with a capital 'smoo'. ;)