TI Jazz Flats versus La Bella Deep Talkers: which is better??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 4, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    TI Jazz Flats versus La Bella Deep Talkers: which is better??

I am going to buy new strings today. These are my two choices.

Here is what i look for in a bass string:

1. Flatwounds w/ ultra smooth surface (no roundwounds for me thanks!)
    2.Lots of depth
    3. Low cost

Which of these strings is smoother?
    Which is more cost effective?
    Why do you prefer one over the other?
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I am going down to L&M later. I am hoping they have both. I was told they definitely have the La Bellas.

Which are smoother?
    Which ones do you prefer and why?
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I never tried the Deep Talkers. I have used their black nylon tapewounds and they are awesome.

Right now I use the TI Flats. They feel so smooth and sound so awesome. Great mids with the TI Flats, whereas alot of flats have almost no mids. The TI's tension is less than other brands and I love that they feel looser than most strings. But if you like high tension strings they may not be for you.

They aren't cheap either...$40 from the Dude...but they should last forever...so $40 over a lifetime works out to...well, pretty darn cheap!

NOTE: TI's wraps are PURE nickel so if you are allergic to nickel (which is not so apparent with strings that are only nickel plated, as most are) you can develop a rash.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I am using the Chromes currently. So i guess the chromes have lower tension then the La Bellas?

Perhaps i should just stick with the chromes, but they were only my second set of strings so i would like to experiment a little.
  5. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    At the moment I have TI Flats on my Sadowsky and I'm very happy with these strings. I think it's hard to find a string with similar midrange voice: very articulate, punchy ... you'll like 'em if you're in love with that Jazz Bass growl. As said, they are very "friendly" to the fingers and easy to play.
    Before TI's I experienced Labella Deep Talkin' flats. First I tried the light gauge set (E string .104) and after a while, searching for more articulate mids, I switch to the x-light gauge (E string .96). With both gauges I experienced the BEST bottom ever ... so round, full, strong, authoritative!
    I think for a while I'll go back to LaBella's x-light, then again to TI's, then LaBella's and so on, 'cause I really want to "understand" well both brands before taking my final decision.
    All I can say is try both for a while, you won't be disappointed! ;)
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Here is my take: YMMV.

Sets (prices from juststrings.com):

o D'Addario Chromes (50-105) $25
    o Fender 9050M (55-105) $17
    o La Bella 760FL (43-104) $36
    o La Bella 760FS (45-105) $36
    o TI Jazz short scale (43-106) $43

I only play fingerstyle, no slap or pick. All strings where on a P bass through an EA iAMP 500 with a CXL-112, except the TIs where on a Musicmaster.

I have only one P bass, so I had to keep changing the strings. I actually broke the G string on the Fenders from stress at the tuning post (they have no silks). Although I did try mixing and matching some of the strings.

All strings had at least two weeks break in. The band is a classic/new rock cover band. I also go to a four-five hour country/oldies jam.

Smoothness (finger feel, not tone):

The La Bella's are probably the smoothest strings I have ever played. The Fender's would be next, then the TI's, and the chromes last. Although the chromes are *very* smooth compared to rounds!

According to my truss rod, I would put the 760FS, Fenders, and chromes in descending order of tension. But they where all very close. According to my fingers, the 760FS where very hard compared to the others.

The 760FL where much lighter than the 760FS. Way more than you would expect in the slight difference in size. They must be wound different.

And like everybody says, the TIs are very low tensions, lower than rounds. I think you need a soft touch for the TIs.

String to string balance:

Balance was good on all sets.

The 760FS, chromes, and Fenders are all pretty close. I found the 760FS to be more slightly more aggressive sounding than the others.

The 760FL are thumpy and Motownish. I liked these strings best. If I where in a blues band, I think I would use them.
  7. I like Sadowksy and Lakland Flats a lot. They are of higher tension than the TI's which I've tried and taken off for now. I currently have a set of Chromes on my Lakland and didn't like them much at first but they are breaking in nicely and have less tension then the Sads or Lakies, and also have more of the mid range growl too. Actually a pretty nice string. Try the Chromes, they are reasonably priced and widely available I think.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I would say the LaBella 760FL's for what you are looking for. I would not get the 760FS's though. They are way to tight and bright.