1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Flats... Wow!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JKos, May 31, 2020.

1. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Hello,
    I've gone and done it. When the price of the renowned accordion accessory dipped recently on Amazon, I pulled the trigger. They arrived today.

I wiped them down with "up&up extra repair unscented body lotion" before installing them on my Homer T '59 Primal. The bass was setup with Sadowsky Bright Blue Nickel (60, 80, 100, 125T) strings tuned BEAD.

I didn't need to make any relief or action changes. Just some intonation tweaking. No problem with the nut being cut for the larger strings. No problem with this bass not having a string retainer.

For all the talk of TI Jazz Flats being floppy, I don't feel that at all. Given, I think the Sadowsky strings are relatively supple round wounds, so the lack of noticeable difference is likely because of that.

As to sound... If they get better than this as they play in... Holy moly!

IMG_20200531_174452223.jpg

Three of my four basses now have flats. I think I'll leave rounds on my one jazz bass.

- John

2. Welcome to the club! There are several threads about these awesome strings for good reason. Enjoy!

3. With all the "TI Flats Love" threads that pop up every few weeks, maybe it's time all the TI lovers should get together in one mega thread like they've done with "Chromeys" and "La Bella 760FL Love". ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  4. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Gotta ask. Why on earth do you wipe them down with lotion?

Sid s, 75Ric, OzzyGreg and 6 others like this.
  5. bassrique and DrMole like this.
  6. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

To replicate the finger oils deposited by years of playing- to " break them in" - as I understand

Play TIs and La Bellas on mandolin. When a P shaped object is in my stable will give these a try. Prob keep rounds on Jazz-type basses- but???

7. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
  8. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Well, I figured I'd try it anyways. I used a white cloth and quite a bit of black came off the strings. So, even if the lotion didn't "age" the strings, it at least helped clean them.

- John

woodyng2, Loring, TN WOODMAN and 2 others like this.
  9. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    I wasn't asking because I didn't think it was going to work, as a primarily roundwound player I had never heard of the lotion thing so I was curious. It was just the thread that was linked as a response that mentioned that - so really I have no clue.

Glad you like them!

10. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I've often thought it's strange with all the mega threads that TI doesn't have one. There's a ton of love for em and deservedly so. Maybe the mere mention of it will kick it off.

TN WOODMAN and Nashrakh like this.
  11. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Yeah man, they are great strings for sure.

Bassist30 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. tminus10

tminus10 On a mission from God Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle,WA,USA
    My personal favorite flats. The set on my Pbass are about 3 years old I think. Glad you like em. I've also never felt they were too "floppy". They aren't a knuckle breaker like a Chromes or Labella original sure but very easy to play.

13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Wonderful strings! They're not always the sound I want but if I had to pick ONE favourite set of string regardless of category it would be the TI Jazz Flats. It has to be the long scale set though. I can't stand the huge jump in gauge/tension between E and A on the short scale set (which is the same gauges as the long scale set except a much thicker E so everything is floppier except the E which is considerably stiffer).

Anyone who loves the TI Jazz Flats should try them on a Danelectro. I've got them on a long scale Shorthorn DC (and on several other basses too). I don't think I've ever heard a bass and a set of strings comliment each other THAT well. Dano+TI flats may seem like a kinda quirky thing... until you try it. P-bass killer IMO. Very versatile. Incredibly fat and organic, yet sits perfectly in the mix. The TI flats balances the otherwise boomy/scooped/clanky Dano perfectly. It's one of those things you really gotta try for yourself to believe it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    woodyng2, Bassist30 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  14. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    I just had a similar experience with those strings. I purchased the accordion accessories from Amazon last year when they were under 40 bucks. They had been lying around waiting for me to get down to Florida, where my Fender jazz is located. I finally decided to put them on my Carvin BB70 a few weeks ago when the GHS pressurewounds started to rust (not very pleased about that). But I think the TIs are superb! The bass sounds great with them and I like the lower tension. I'm keeping an eye on the Amazon price and I'd like to buy another set for the Jazz.

Skillet likes this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    They are nice. I have them on my P bass. I do find that I tend to “dig in” when I play and that can be difficult with these strings, but it isn’t a deal breaker as they sound so good.

Skillet likes this.
  16. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    It puts the lotion on it's skin.:woot:

Robert B, Maluku, subtlestew and 6 others like this.
  17. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    What are the "accordian accessory" sets? I actually grabbed one on Amazon a bit ago to try because they're cheaper than the regular ones at Sweetwater etc.

OpposableThumbs likes this.
  18. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    yep!

19. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Why not treat your J to a set of TI Jazz Rounds? They're fabulous strings in every regard.

Jeff Scott and Loring like this.
  20. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    I think they're the same (JF344) as sold elsewhere, but maybe old stock based on packaging.

OpposableThumbs and Ryno1330 like this.