TI Jazz Flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just ordered a set of the TI Jazz Flats (JF365) for my 5 string Cirrus.

I've read all the posts on TI strings...but I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has been using the TI flats for more than say, 6 months.

Do you still like them? Have they improved with age? Is there anything you don't like about them? Do they still have the same tone, or are they better or worse for you now? Did you try them and find they didn't sound so great or are they better than you thought?

I haven't gotten them yet, but I am anxious to try them. I'm the kind of bass player that will leave strings on forever. I've had strings that went dead after a short time and I've had strings that even after a year, still sounded great.

I'm not really into the Super Bright sound anyway. I prefer the old upright sound, yet I don't really care for traditional sounding flats, so I thought I'd give these a try.

Any feedback on them would be appreciated.
  2. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    I've had mine for over a year and i still love em.

I own a pair of Rotosound flats, Nylons, 77's,and just bought a pair of Dean Markley Medium/light SR2000--I keep reaching for my TI's.
    The tone is still there--they are as lively as they ever were
    They seem to be a perfect fit for my 4 string Kingston Heir.
  3. Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    These are great strings. You can keep them on your bass for a LONG time. They seem to get better with age! I've had them on a fretless for over a year.

Once you get used to them, you'll have a hard time going back to roundwonds.
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So, you've ordered a set of $50 strings, and now you want to know what people think of them? Maybe you should have asked these questions first.
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

No, actually I already asked a ton of questions, did a search for everything related to these exact strings. If there was info in the internet about them, I've already read it.

I was more specifically asking people who have had them on for at least 6 months, how they still like them and if anything changed their minds afterwards.

I have no doubts about what I ordered...I'm not a moron. Just curious about their longevity. No one knows for sure until they try them out first-hand anyway.

Thanks for your helpful insight though. I do appreciate it. :rolleyes:
  6. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    One of my Jazz basses has had a set of these on it for about 5 years. Still sound great, although there are some flat spots starting to materialize. They're pricey, but they're the only brand of flats that I'll use.
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO

Sorry, I completely missed that 2nd sentence in your post.

8. I also ordered a set today for my 5 string Ibanez. It's a year old and have been using the strings that came on it. I'm a church player and am looking for that doghouse bass fiddle sound. I'll report back here on how they work out. Better be darn happy for the price.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

No problem...I can see where it would be quite odd to buy something...then after buying it, ask if it's worth buying. :)

I look at it this way...I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on strings over the course of my career...what's $50 if I keep them on my bass 'til they break?

That is if they actually keep their tone. I have a set of Labella Tapewounds on my Cirrus that have been on there for over two years. They still sound like the day I put them on.

It will be interesting as to how these feel and sound. I've been looking for strings with less tension for some time. If these work out I may never need new strings again (I haven't broke a string in about twenty years, so...$50 is really nothing in that context).
  10. I've had TI jazz flats on my BTB405 for about 18 months with no hint of them dying yet. I like them just as well today as I did the day I put them on (I'm well pleased).
  11. Anyone try the TI flats on a 4 string Lakland Joe Osborne Jazz???
    How about a Sadowsky Vingtage 4 string ?
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've put them on my lakland Joe osborn.
    they sound good.
    But sound better on P-bass.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It will be a strange, strange day when someone has complaints about the longevity of TI strings. I've that the rounds on my fretted for over a month now, and they sound -- and feel -- better than the D'addarios, Ernie Balls (round and flats), and Rotos I've had on there previous when they were brand new. It was kind of strange at first, I hated them for a couple days, but when they broke in...oh dear, the sound was just beautiful. Gorgeous overall. I loved 'em! Couldn't be happier, to be honest :D. I bought a set of flats for a yammy fretless coming into my possession this month, and I'm having serious trouble not taking them out of the pack and putting them on my fretted! :)
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I put my recently acquired TI Jazz Flats (JF365’s) on my Cirrus 5 string.

These are exactly what I’ve been looking for. The feel is so smooth. The lower tension is exactly what I wanted in a string. Flexibility that seems to be just right.

The tone is very full, distinct and even from string to string. Bright enough sounding without the brashness of roundwounds, yet not dull like traditional flatwounds. There is a certain “upright” sound I get from them, but with more punch and clarity to the notes.

Smooth, just smooth. Smooth on tone, feel, and transition from string to string. My playing flows. They just melt in my hands…I even feel more expressive with them. I think the fact that they are lower tension helps with my playing. I have a tendency to play harder on higher tension strings. The feel of these just makes me play lighter as they are far more easy to play on. I don’t have to press as hard when fretting.

It feels great to pluck them too. My old set of Labella Tapewounds feel more like solid wire or rebar compared to these…and I LOVED my LaBellas.

So far the Jazz Flats are top notch, in playability as well as tone. Awesome, awesome strings.

I think everyone should at least give them a try. I’ve tried a lot of strings in 25 years + of playing and I often settle into a particular favorite. I’m glad I checked into TI Jazz Flats.

They are my new favorites…though I’ve only played them on my Cirrus for two days. Perhaps over time I’ll change my mind. Nah.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mmmm, definitely good to know, but now I'm not sure if I can wait for the fretless to put these strings on something!
  16. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have heard from so many that these strings actually get better with age. I find that difficult to believe, only because I can't see how they could sound any better.

I've gotten excited over new gear before...but strings? Even when I took them out of the package, and unrolled them, they felt like a rubbery snake...they felt different before I even put them on!

I love my Cirrus because it feels more like an extension of me...not a bass hanging on me. Very effortless to play. Now with these TI strings, it just completes the package.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the feel of them because they are so unlike any other string I've played. Playing them is so effortless...like I'm playing the neck and there are no strings on it. I'm so used to higher tension strings...and these are just so...I don't know the right word for them...sensuous??? :cool:
  17. Ditto!
    I mentioned that I would report back on my TI Jazz Flats when I got them. :hyper:

They came in yesterday. 2 day delivery out of Suwanee, GA. I opened them up at work. The B felt like a cable. I had not planned on putting them on until today, as we had an all evening choir rehearsal last night, and I didn't want new strings without a chance to break them in. But, I couldn't wait.

Left work early, and slapped them puppies on the ole Ibanez. I was pleased that they didn't require any neck adjustment. The sound is just what I had hoped for. Much less bright than the roundwounds, with that big 'ole thump. The ole "Doghouse Bass" sound I was wanting is there with these strings.

The tension is not that much less than the roundwounds, but just a bit more floppy. No fret rattle at all. Seems the diameter is larger and that felt a little cumbersome at first. I sat down with some good 'ole "Honky Tonk" 2-beat country CDs and a couple of "Ole Time Gospel" CDs and spent about an hour and a half "woodsheddin'" with them before packing up and heading for the rehearsal.

Our "Choir Boss" is a Juliard trained former touring bow bass and pluck bassist. I had mentioned to her day-before-yesterday that I had ordered the strings. Her comment was "A solid body electric bass that sounds like an acoustic bass? Never happen!" I didn't tell her I had them last night. She knew it immediately with the first few notes. "Is that your new strings?" "Wow, I am impressed!" was her comment.
    Initially the fingers don't slide over them quite as easy as my old ones, but a little nose oil got rid of that immediately. I noticed a little bit of preservative coming off on my finger tips, so wiping them down slicked 'em up real good. I need to pack some string ease stuff around with me probably anyway.

Very good investment for me. Thanks for all the tips and help on the TI Jazz Flats.

18. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000

And yet another "convert" ! Soon, the whole world will be ours............... ;) :D
  19. BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    When I first started bass TI's would have been fine. I remember thinking how stiff the LaBellas that I curently prefer were. The Difference today is 15 years of having played the upright bass (Vs 40 years on the electric) has made my RH attack so much more forcefull that TI's are just too light with regards to string tension and now the LaBella's are IT (not to be confused with TI) ...

I Kill Me.....

About flatwound strings in general, they last much longer than roundwound strings. I have yet to change my original LaBellas from 3 years ago and it was that way back in the 60's too.
  20. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I still love my LaBellas. Until I tried the TI's I wouldn't bother with any other brand of strings...though I had tried just about all of them at one point or another.

But as much as I like LaBella strings, I wanted to try these TI's as I was looking for less tension...which the TI's offer.