1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI jazz flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by precision punk, Apr 13, 2009.

1. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    hey guys i was wondering this is gonna sound weird but how low is the tension compared to regular roundwound? is the e string like a drop tuned E to D in standard tuning with the flats? ahh its hard to explain haha

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The tension is lower than an average roundwound, but not so much lower that it would be like detuning a whole step.

3. I would say they tension-wise are about the same as a set of .40-.100 Fender 7250 roundwounds.

4. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    niceee thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback!!

keep thumpin!

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Through the body TIs really tighten up too so keep that in mind if your bass has that option.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I always hear about folks stringing TI jazz flats through the body, but is that really advisable with flats?

not that i would change what I have but I love theTIs on my Warwick Flashback (standard warwick bridge) and I often think about grabbing one of the string-thru 2tek Flashbacks

7. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    ok so if i string thru the body will i lose that signature tension TIs have?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, it won't change. I disagree totally with the one guy's statement that the tension changes. There is no way stringing through the body can change tension with any kind of string, flat or otherwise.

Edit: There are reasonable arguments that changing the angle at which the string "breaks" over the bridge saddles can change the "feel" of the string a little bit, so maybe that's what he meant. But even so, the difference (if there really is one) is very slight.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's really only LaBella flats that can't be safely strung through-body. Every other brand I've either tried or read about is fine through-body. I have a 2Tek equipped 5'er with the TI flats, and it works great.

10. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    ohhh ok got it thanks bongomania

11. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I strung my TI Jazz Flats through-body about 8 months ago - no issues and no weirdness on the bridge saddles as far as I can tell. Once they were strung and tuned, I gave them a very slight bend by hand at the saddles, but I purposely took it easy and did not "crease" them.

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

All I know is they feel a little tighter to me through the body. Could be all in my head I guess.

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    thanks bongo, that's good to know for the future