1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Rounds Gauging

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm using the JR344 set of TI Jazz Rounds (43-89). I really like the sound and feel of these strings, but I would like to have a heavier gauge. This series of strings only comes in one gauge for four, five and six string basses. Could I buy the five string set and just use the four heaviest strings? That would give me a 51 - 118 set. Could I use a string that was intended to be used as a B as a E? Has anyone hear done this and what were the results? I emailed TI, but I have not heard back from them yet. Thanks for any and all help!

2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    strings are not "made to be" a certaing note, so you can do it.

for example, a .050 G is an hard G. a .050 D is a soft D, but the string is the same. when you buy single strings, you buy the gauge, not the note. a .030 C string can be a small G, as in the 30-90 sets.

3. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm really wondering about is the extra tension and whether or not my bass can take it. Have you ever "upsized" like that?

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    the Truss Rod is there to be used. I only guess that a 118 E can be too much. many players use the 115 E, but I've never heard of a 120 used tuned in E.

I've used 52-110 strings many times, and you just have to set up the bass.

5. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
  6. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    interesting! so probably the TI 118 can do the job

7. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    A less extreme solution would be to order the JR364 set, which has heavier gauges than the regular JR344: .043, .055, .075, .101. The strings are flexible enough for the extra length to turn easily around the tuning pegs if your bass has a standard top-loading bridge. I used this set on a standard P-bass a few years ago and they worked fine.

8. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting solution. I'm really wanting to make this string work for me. I really like the sound of them. I just keep getting an unacceptable amount of fret buzz even with a light playing touch. I've raised my action to a level I don't like. Ditto for my relief. Will the bigger gauge tame some of the floppiness of this string?

9. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Yes, they should feel a bit closer to a "normal" tension, though they will still feel less stiff than most other roundwounds just because of the way they are made. The difference between an .068 and a .075 A string is noticeable, and the difference between an .089 and a .101 E even more so. If you want to save a bit of money, you could just order the heavier JR364 E and A strings as singles from bassstringsonline: Thomastik-Infeld T-I JAZZ Round Wound Single Bass Strings - Super Long Scale

10. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    hmmm, I have a bass with a 3+2 headstock, would the JR364 strings be too long to fit? It has small diameter tuning pegs (sperzel locking)

I would like to try the jazz rounds, but 5s are in a really light gauge and I tune down a half step. I dont mind the feel of the TI jazz flats down a half step, but don't want anything looser than that

11. Measure the distance between where the ball end sits and the tuner post that's closest to the nut. If it's more than 39.75", then the super long scale will fit fine.

The long scale TIs are 37" ball to silk, while the super long scale is 39.75".