1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Jazz Rounds vs Elixir Nanowebs: Two Questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    1. Which strings are smoother?

2. Which string will give the most growl?

3. (totally subjective) which do you like better, having experience with both.

I've played Elixirs on a Fender Jazz and loved the sound and the feel. I keep hearing about these TI Jazz rounds and they sound like they might be up my alley but I worry about the tension.

2. The TI Jazz Rounds are definitely smoother than the Elixers. Easily the smoothest roundwound strings I've played.

Dunno about growl, since it's such a subjective thing...the jazz rounds sound growly to my ears :)

Though obviously the strings aren't the only part in the equation for that tone...

The tension on the jazz rounds is very low (a bit lower than the jazz flats). I love it that way, and the Jazz Rounds are my personal favorite strings, tonally and feel-wise. They have a very well balanced, warm tone right out of the box. Rather than being ultra bright and zingy like most strings (imo).

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Sorry to get off topic, but your cover of Incubus's Crowded elavator is excellent. Not many people know the song, and it is one of Dirk's best lines IMO. Killer tone!

4. Thanks, it is a sweet bassline! I think that was the song that first got me into Incubus - got it from the Scream 3 soundtrack :p

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    wow, nice touch on that crush line! nice tone too. you play with a pretty light touch? I couldn't gauge it really well from watching your videos, but the tension on the strings don't seem floppy or anything from watching you play. in the higher registers they seem very smooth, whereas lower on the E and A getting some sweet growl. I'm actually leaning toward these strings a bit more now, thanks.

how long do jazz rounds usually last? I know elixirs last a long time and thats part of the reason I want them.

6. I do play with a pretty light touch. They don't seem 'floppy' to me, they're a very ilght gauge but they're also very well balanced across the whole set.

For me, they last about 4-5 months I'd say. Depends on the tone I want though. Sometimes I leave them on longer if I want a more dull, warm tone.