Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Jazz rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Sep 10, 2002.

1. I contributed to the TI appreciation thread on here a while back. I've used flats on the fretless for a while and now I've fitted rounds to the Bass Collection.

ABSOLUTELY SUPERB

They make me sound absolutely brilliant.

No, come to think of it I was miming to one of Mr Turners tracks:eek:

But these rounds really are brilliant.

John

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    They ARE somethin' aren't they? I've got a JR344 set
    on an old Yamaha BBn4F. I recently installed a set of
    DiMarzio Ultra-Jazz pups in it.

:eek: Holy...smokes! All kinds of sweet overtones, they don't
    tear up my fingers OR the fretboard, and the playability?!?
    They seemed to have even less tension than the Jazz Flats
    I have on a yammer rbx260f.

Sure enough...went to the TI website and they ARE a bit
    lower in tension than the flats. D'ohh! :D.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got jazz rounds as the bottom strings on my 8 string fretless.

[​IMG]

The lower tension makes it less tiring to push both the root, and octave strings at the same time, and the smaller windings on the rounds better match the feel of the octave strings, too.

When I play the Jazz rounds by themselves (the reason I got such wide spacing), it sounds absolutely stunning.

I've currently got Jazz flats on my 6 string fretless, and I think I am going to move Jazz Rounds to the fretless, and put Jazz Flats on my Jazz bass.

I love TI strings so much, I'm getting either an ABG, or a Turner Renaissance bass with the intention of have a bass with every kind of TI string available. After I get the Acousticore strings, I'll have basses with Rounds, Flats, Powerbass, and Acousticore.

I'll be done buying basses!

For a little while!:D

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I haven't tried Powerbass (yet). Are they overly "clanky" ?
    :eek: Nooooo! Then you can start in on URB's...
    Dominant, Spirocore, Superflexible, Precision :D

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hey...that's what I have done! I use Acouticore's on my fretted Godin A4, Jazz flats (or acousticores) on my fretless Godin A5 (with high C string), Jazz Rounds on my EMG loaded Godin BG4 (wow! what a tone!), Powerbass on my old Tobias Standard and Jazz Flats on my 67 P Bass (now there is a TONE).

Ok..so now the only thing is: Jazz Rounds also sound GREAT on the fretted A4 (a bit different than Acousticore's...kind more like a semi hollowbody, but nonetheless they are smooth, rich and "chirpless" with the piezo system. So now I need to get another fretted Godin for the Jazz Rounds...and while I am at it...another fretless, too!

Seriously, TI's are, IMHO, the finest strings you can find. I have used just about every brand and gauge available, I make my living playing bass (and I play a lot!), and for me nothing delivers clear and balanced tone like TI's. Rich and even response, regardless of the set or the bass they are on...and they last about 10 times longer than any other brand!

Max

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a Strunal 5/20 set up with Spirocores. Once I get some time, and find a good teacher in Atlanta, I'll be devoting some serious time to the upright.

As for the Powerbass strings, I don't find them clanky in the least little bit. I've currently got them on two basses--my 5 string Curbow Petite, and my heavily modded maple board MIA 75 reissue Jazz with overwound Fralin pickups, and JRetro. The B string is the best balanced B string to ever go on the 5 string, and it's only a .119. Right out of the box, they sound great, and after a couple of days they settle in and stay brilliant for months. I think these have been on the Curbow for about 4 months, and you'd think they were a couple of weeks, at most.

The Jazz sounds amazing, too--the perfect Jazz Bass sound. I think I want to try the flats, though, or the rounds--tough decisions...:)

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    cool beans! Thanx for the response :). My next "project"
    is gonna be a yammer 270F (new pups, bridge, etc. :rolleyes: ).
    I'll give the Powerbass a go on that one.

8. Well, I'm quite new to TI stuff. I use Jazz Flats on the Yammy RBX 270F, as already stated, and decided to give the Jazz rounds a whizz on the BC.

Our guitarist (who heard me playing before seeing me) thought I'd been out and bought a new bass. He was really impressed with the tone. I can well see that with top line pickups the sound would be truly amazing.

I love the feel of these things more than any string I've played before. They're so supple and responsive, and so easy on the fingers.

Wonderful.

John

9. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Thanks for the feedback folks, so glad to hear you like them! Since I received a few messages this moning from board members asking about where to get them, here are a few web/mail order sources:

www.mostring.net (1-877-999-2392)
    www.juststrings.com (1-800-822-3953)
    www.bigcitystrings.com (1-800-275-2971)
    www.elderly.com (1-888-473-5810)
    www.thedudepit.com (this is another great discussion forum for bassists. They carry all our bass strings)
    www.mixedcompany.com
    www.t-istrings.com
    www.beststrings.com
    www.melbay.com (1-800-8MEL-BAY)
    www.rfd.cc/bpstrings/
    www.jhalemusic.com
    www.kradl.com (1-888-452-5723)
    www.musiciansfriend.com (1-800-776-5173)
    New Age Strings 610-678-3057

Also if anyone here has any specific questions or needs a catalog, feel free to call or email or of course, post here.

My best,
    Kevin
    1-800-644-5268
    kevinr@connollyandco.com

10. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    They may sound good on the high-end basses you guys play, but I'll have to say that sound utterly horrible on my MIM Fender Jazz. I recently installed some JR344s and they've made my bass sound the worse its ever sounded. So, I suggest to those of you with fenders or other low end basses to stay away from TI's.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A (used) Yamaha BBN4F is high-end? :confused:

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Funny--they sound amazing on my Fender, and they also sound amazing on my Peavey....

13. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    ScretHate:

I'm not trying to get into a pissin' match here, but perhaps you got a defective set or possibly got Jazz Rounds when your intentions were to slap, play funk, etc where you need a higher output, crisper string and should have tried something more appropriate? I can say with confidence that folks playing P and Jazz basses have overwhelmingly reported that they love T-I strings.

Here, check out this recent conversation from the Fender forum yourself:

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=223052&lastpost=2002-09-2423:23:40

There's even a recent topic on this board called "Thomastik-Infeld worship" and many of those folks are using Fender's:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53015&highlight=worship

Since I do the artist relations for Thomastik-Infeld here in America, I get daily reports of players telling me how much they love them, that they've found the string they've been looking for, etc. I wouldn't even have replied to your post if players' reactions weren't so overwhelmingly positive regarding T-I strings and Fender basses. If you feel like you may have gotten a defective set, or need help installing them properly, feel free to call me here at the office and we can discuss it.

Best regards,

Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive US Importer of Thomastik-Infeld strings
    1-800-644-5268

14. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    :oops: I totally disagree... TI Jazz Rounds turned my MIM Jazz into a growly beast!! I'll never use another brand on that bass.

They did not sound very good, imo, on my P-Bass, but the Jazz Flats sound awesome on it.

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am pretty dissapointed with the TI Jazz round , I bought here in Australia. The A string didnot sound equal with the rest, I returned to the shop and they gave me a new one but the same thing happened, so I am waiting for their reaction whether they chaqnge again or return the payment.

I found that the string diameter is alittle too small especiually ofn the E and A strings [ E only.85]

16. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Hey there J.S. Sorry to hear thet they didn't perform well for you. I wish I could directly replace it for you but I don't have distribution rights outside the US. Perhaps I can kinda 'slip one past the goalie' next month when nobody is around. Email me directly and I'll see what I can do:

kevinr@connollyandco.com

17. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    I'm not trying to piss you TI people off. I'm just stating my experience with the strings.

18. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    I understand, bro, I didn't take it that way; it was just your personal experience. After all, that's what these boards are for, right?

I posted because I have had players report that they didn't like a given set and it sometimes turns out that they were using a set designed for a different purpose and when they got the right one they were way happier. Also, I feel it's very important to make sure folks arent getting defective strings out there. We're really quite serious about distributing quality merchandise. Anyway, thanks for posting and please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

19. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    What type of music would you say these strings are designed for? I play in a ska band and in my school jazz band where a low clean tone is required.

20. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Hmm, Outside of the jazz flatwounds and the tone they provide, which is quite powerful for flats, there's the Powerbass series. They are designed with a high carbon, hexagonal steel core for high output. The two inner cover wires are also made of high carbon steel (the real bright, magnetically reactive stuff). The outermost wrap is a nicke lplated steel; The process here is also very different in that the metal wrap is drawn out to gauge and then plated instead of plating an already wrapped entire string. The result is an evident boost in signal strength without added noise or distortiion to the signal. If you use effects, for instance and drop-off is a problem, they will take care of that. Basically, they have a higher S/N (signal to noise) ratio and thus quite a big-bottomed and powerful but clean sound.

I hope this helps. I need to take of something right now, but in the meantime, please email or call my toll free 1-800-644-5268.