TI JFs and alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sDg, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    Just curious.

I want to tune my five string from D (DGCFBb). I am in the process of deciding on the type and gauge of strings I should use. I would like to use TIs. But I really don't like to tune down to D with them. It gets a little too floppy. And being that I can, at times, have a very heavy right hand the sound can be a little flatulent.

Has anyone tried to use a regular 5 string set of TI Jazz Flats and tune UP to a D. Does this create too much tension? Any ideas on other issues that I might have a problem with immediately or down the road?

2. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    You can calculate the tension.

First find out what the TI flat tensions are at regular pitch. It is listed on the box. If you cannot find it, I could post it for you.

Then go to the D'Addario site and download their pdf file on string tension. In the beginning section it has the frequencies of the different pitches and also a formula for calculating tension. From this information you can determine the frequency you wish to tune up to and see how it increases the string tension.

As to what is too much I do not know. I would start to be leary if the tensions started to exceed 50lb. per string but that has more to do with the neck then the strings.

3. Been here...

Increasing the tension on TIs changes the character markedly. I used them on a 36" bass, which cranked up the tension. They sound less TI like, though still good. If you tune up a whole tone and a half, you will get strange sounds, though it probably won't hurt the bass (depending on what the bass it is).

But surely the whole point of a five string is that you don't need to tune down. You can already play equally easily in any key!