TI or DR for Warwick?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi everyone!
    I need some help deciding which string to go with my bass (Warwick Corvette 6 bubinga) as Im more familiar with basses, but not with strings. After reading through quite a few threads, it looks like to me that these are the ones you mostly recommend; yet some say that DRs go well with Warwicks; TIs are said to be very good strings all-around - and I think I can even get them here.

What I want is: if possible a SS with
    - clarity
    - low action
    - balanced for the whole range
    - no floppy B-strings
    - not too rough feel
    - if thats too much, then just carrots, please...:D

I dont know where I can get Drs, but I will try to find out; as for TIs, since they make strings for bow instruments, there might be shops that will order them - hopefully... At one guitar&bass shop the owner/seller told me that this way they have a while ago ordered TI Jazzes, but the TI dealer wasnt quite happy with them... Anyway that was the only shop that has heard about them and even handled them.

So which would you recommend and why? If you have other ideas, then tell me them, too - but Im not sure I can get them.

PS I can check back only from time to time, but let this not hold you back my friends ;)
  2. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have to go, Ill check back tomorrow - meanwhile feel free to reply :D
  3. I've tried all the DR stainless steel strings, and the TI powerbass (I think that's the ones you'll want if you go with TI's). I like DR Hi-Beams the best because of their lively tone, bright edge and playabillity. The TI's sounded a bit ordinairy to my ears, and not as good as the DR's when I really dig in. The b-string of the TI's is only 1.18, so maybe it'll feel floppy to you. The DR b-strings are all good I think. If you want low action the DR lo-riders or fat-beams might be better for you. They are stiffer, and doesn't vibrate so much as the hi-beams. But if you want playabillity nothing beats hi-beams in my opinion. As for roughness, the TI's - being nickleplated, are the smoothest, but I don't think any of the DR's feel rough. Choose your string by the sound - you'll get used to SS in a weeks time, if you feel any roughness at all.

are good places to get them on the net. If you don't have to pay costums, like I do here in Denmark, sheetmusicplus is clearly the cheapest. Stringbusters has faster delivery, and the prices are just a tad under shopprices here in DK, so it might be more convinient than waiting for the shop to order them.

Good luck :)
  4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D Thanks for the replies!

Just some things to note:
    - I already play SS, and always did, but the B and E the Corvette came with felt a bit rough compared to my older strings
    - well, we have 25% VAT + import taxes + I dont know what else beside shiping price :mad: , so ordering online is quite... like out
    - from this it looks like DR Hi-beams would be better, but I can only get TI here - and even that I have to order through a shop for bow instruments, as TI makes strings for them, too; apart from me, not many have heard of DRs here...
    - oh and if I go TI, Austria is our neighbour - so it is easier for me to order from here...;)

So, thanks for the replies! (and keep'em comin'!)
  5. That's just like Denmark. But because the Stringbusters is in England, which is in the EU, I don't have to pay taxes and VAT. I don't know about Hungary, though. Shipping from Stringbusters is 2,50 £ which still make it cheaper for me, than buying it locally. So if you can't get them locally, try the net.
    If you have to pay VAT and taxes, I'm willing to help you out. I could buy you a set here and send it to you, or something. Just PM me.
  6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks, Carl-Anton, thats very sweet of you, but I havent made up my mind yet - I need more info about TI... And yes the things are a bit complicated, as we will only be EU members in May 2004, so there are still import taxes. DR are not available here AFAIK - I will try one more shop and a "local" oline musicstore; well, we'll see...
    So once more thanks for your offer, Carl-Anton, if all else breaks, I think I'll need it, if its not too much trouble for you