Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Power Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 23, 2003.

1. As an established user of TI Jazz (round and flat) strings on fretted and fretless 4 string basses, I'd like to take opinion on their Power Bass strings. I'd be fitting them to a Yamaha BBG5S.

I love the feel and response of the Jazz strings and I wondered whether Power Bass have the same suppleness. [I note from the TI site that Power Bass have very roughly double the lbs pull over Jazz.]

Any observations on Power Bass would be very welcome.

Ta.

John

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The powerbass are fairly different from the jazz rounds. first off they are much thicker. Also they have a lot more tension. They sounds great though on the right bass. I use powerbass on my G&L L2000 and the sound just kills. I tried the powerbass on my Fender Marcus Miller jazz and it just didn't sound right. I put the jazz rounds on the marcus and it sounds really good.
    The powerbass do have a strong sound and they are a little rougher than the jazz rounds, but they are easier on the fingers than a lot of other rounds out there, including most DR strings (which I used to use a lot).

-KB

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree with pretty much everything that KB has to say.

The Powerbass strings are the TI strings that are most similar to other brands of roundwound strings.

I've currently got them on my Curbow Int'l Petite 5, and I love the way they feel. They also have a high output which helps with the Roland pickup I have installed to drive my VBass. They don't have quite the same 'zing' out of the package as most roundwounds (I don't care for the 'zing' personally), but they keep their crystal clear tone a lot longer than most other brands--the last set I had on there lasted about 6 months before I felt like the tone had degraded enough to need changing. Not bad for roundwounds.

Granted, my Jazz Rounds last about 2 years, or so....
    :D

4. I put TI Jazz on my Bass Collection (now traded for the BBG5S). The BC didn't handle these strings too well with quite a thin sound.

Just wondered whether or not to try a set on the Yammy. Don't earn from playing so the £36 is quite a lot for an experiment that might not work.....if you see what I mean.

John

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm pretty happy with PowerBass strings on my Carvin LB75. They have a nice fat sound, with that typical roundwound edge when new. They age pretty gracefully too, but I find I have to replace them after about 6 weeks.