TI Powerbass... No thanks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Ok, this is not a thread intended to start a war on strings. I just wanted to give my view on the much fabled about TI strings. I've just bought a Powerbass 5-string set, and were very curious about how they would sound, and this is what I found:

Tension was very good, and they sounded very even from string to string. If played lightly they had a nice warm full sound, with a little brightness to them. So far so good. It was when I tried to play them a little harder they failed. It seemed like the sound broke up. What before was a warm midrange now became barky and harsh, and the brightness became clanks and clonks, that didn't stick together with the rest of the sound spectrum.
    So I would say that if you play with a light touch, and want a warm nickle sound, the powerbass is surely an option, but if you have a more agressive playingstyle I would recommend something else. Funny enough they sounded ok when slapped (though I'm not much of a slapper!)

I'll pas on the TI's and stick with my Slowounds or Fatbeams :bassist:

Well that's just my opinion on these strings. I know alot of you like TI's alot, and I only wanted to say that it's possible to NOT like these strings :eek: . It's all a matter of taste.

(...If anyone wants a cheap set of Powerbass, PM me :D)

Peace :)
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I tried them too and had a very similar reaction. I have a pretty heavy attack and they did nothing but click and clank. I loved the feel of them but I took them off in about 30 minutes.

I tried the Jazz Rounds too. They WERE they best feeling strings ever, even exceeding the PB's but I took them off too. I just couldn't play with them.
  3. Was the tension too low?
    I have reservations for trying those too, because of the tension. I don't think I want anything lower tensioned than Hi-Beams.
  4. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

So how do you rate the Slowounds for finger style and slap?
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I was very disappointed with the TI's...Maybe I was putting too much stock in them since i like their DB strings.
  6. The Slowounds are very good for fingerstyle. Nice fat sound, fairly good high-end. The sound doesn't break up like with the TI's, but if you really like growl and aggressive playing, I would recommend FatBeams instead. I miss the zing of steel when I use Slowounds, but I dig the full warm sound. Hard to decide :meh:
    For slap I don't know. - I think DR Fatbeams are a better string in that respect. And they are great fingerstyle strings too.

I've just ordered a set of Rotosound 66's. Looking foreward to try them on... Was my string of choice 10 years ago.
  7. I must be in a parallel dimension. My experiance is the opposite. I have the PB on my Lakland Jo Jazz. They sound very good and have more tension then any of the other TI from what I read. I have had DR Sunbeams on my Lakland 4-94 for couple years now and like them very much. I just recently put a set of Fat Beams on that bass and I'm not liking them very much. I find the tension too loose for me. I'm a finger style player mostly and I'm pretty aggressive. At least I don't play lightly. I find them too "zingy" too. I've been a Nickle man for quite a few years so that probably has something to do with that. Anyway I think they get lost in the sound too. JMHO. I do like the TI Power Bass on my Jazz, although I want to try some flats on the Jazz next.
  8. Big String, the tension of the Powerbass strings was good I think. I was also surprised how tight the b-string was, since it's only a .118. The tension of Fatbeams is what I want, and I think they are a bit lower tension than the PB's. Funny you didn't like 'em. Wanna switch? :)
  9. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've used Slowounds for a while now, I really like them.. My bass can get very trebly, so I dig the way they warmed and fattened the sound.. For me, and my bass, it's a great all round string, that lasts long, and has a punchy fingerstyle sound and a very musical slap sound..
  10. Carl,
    most slapper in these parts like the Fats. I going to give them to one of my local buddies who like that string. I'm gonna try some nickle low riders today. Sorry I'm not sending string to Denmark. :bawl:
  11. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    What I've found is that, to some extent, the Powerbass need a similar setup adjustment to the Jazz flats. While they are much higher tension than the flats, powerbass have a similar "lot of travel" effect, which probably helps explain why they feel so flexable for their tension, if that makes sense. They want a little more neck relief than strings of similar gauge/tension in my experience, otherwise the wider travel causes clanking on the frets when you really dig in. Just what I've found in having them on pretty much every bass I've owned in the last nearly 2 years.

12. I've got Powerbass strings on my Curbow Jazz and I dig in way too hard most of the time. No problems as far as I can tell. I think I get clanking no matter what strings I use! :D I really like the way Powerbass strings sound and they last a good, long time.
  13. I tried liking the Fats, but just had to take them off and put a set of DR Sunbeams back on. Shaaa weet!
  14. :D

Yeah, I gotta try out Sunbeams too. How are they compared to Fatbeams or PB's?
  15. Sunbeams
    Nickel, good solid tensions, even sound, warm and punchie, last long. Best for my finger style.

SS, looser tension, even sound, bright and punchie, great for slap/popping. I'm sure they last long, but I took them off right away.

I forget what the what their made of I think Nickel. Same as Sunbeams review. Noticably a little louder because of the metal core. I had to cut back the string binding on my E string because it went into the nut. Same thing happens with boomers on my 34" scale Laklands.

I want to try Low Riders too.
  16. Thanks a lot Big String :)
    Funny you think that Sunbeams are tighter than the Fats. Sunbeams should be nickleplated Hi-beams which have a lower tension than Fatbeams (to meatleast)
  17. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I called DR custserv. They said that the Sunbeams have the LEAST amount of tension of all DR strings.
  18. Well that settles it I guess. Thanks JR!
  19. Suit yourself. I guess DR should know since they make them. All I can tell you is the feel was definate. The Fats WERE floppier than the Sunbeams. Soon as I put the Fats on I got buzzes and would have had to add relief on the neck or raise he action. Heck whit dat. The Beams are tight focused and smooth.......
    Might be be my bass. Lakland 4-94. Beams sound great on it. Maybe I got a bad set of Fats, but I doubt it. My pal that prefers Fats even told me that is why he prefers them, because the "Sunbeams were too stiff", and he much preferred the Fats because the "lower tension", for his supberb slappyness. You'll have to try them yourself. I can get them for 19.00 buck a pack. not too bad.