Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Powerbass on 35" ?!?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking at my first "new" set of strings from my BTB and after searching this forum I came to the conclusion that the TI Powerbass would be perfect at least tone wise.

Problem is I got a BTB (35") and could not find a clear answer whether these strings are long enough to fit it.

Could someone please answer this straight. Anybody try them?

My BTB didn't have the Ibanez "original" strings but string with red felts (sp?) would those be BHS?

Anyway the string I have right now are not bright enough on my taste. I would try the DR if not for my finger which are really sore (I picked the bass for the first time less 1 weeks ago!!!). So I'm looking at smooth but bright strings.

Would the Nanoweb or Polyweb fit the bill?

Thanks

2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    virtually any string will fit your btb 35" (strung thru bridge) i also have a ibanez btb 5 string ,i am assuming it came with elixir polywebs? actually i like the tone of the stock strings so i am going to leave them on mine.i have seen btb 4 strings with elixir tags so thats why i think my 5 string also has elixir's. D&R is a good bright string(recommend).i never tryed the powerbass strings.good-luck..

3. Hi Doug,

Reading in a few thread I read (or thought I did anyway) that not all string fit 35"

Are you saying all will fit because it is "string through bridge" but not all would fit if it was string through body?

I'm looking at these for better hi-mid and hi. Goal being to add a tad more punch without having to play constantly by the bridge.

Which DR would you recommand: Hi-Beam or Lo-Beam and why? (Still not sure my sore fingertip can handle them though :( )

Thanks.

4. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    DR high beams are a great "bright" string and have read that DR lowriders are also(never tryed),i also have a schecter elite 5 string 35" and i have been trying out different string sets,D&R highbeams,rotosound"swing bass",labella"hard rockers",i ended up going with a nickel string ernieball "slinkys". and all these strings/sets worked on my 35" schecter. as far as your finger tips?, "play thru the pain", :D ,practice ,practice,practice... good-luck...

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Unfortunately, not true at all. Many strings, especially those with silks, will be too short and the silk will extend into the nut or even past it. D'Addario XL's, for instance, will start the taper wind in the nut on most 35's with through-bridge stringing on their long scale sets. You need to go extra long and they don't make an extra long for sixers. Lotsa variables. I've got several sets I can't use on 35" scale basses on hand right now. And all my 35"s are through the bridge.

Safe strings for 35" basses are: Elixers and DR's. There are others, of course. As I said, D'Addario extra long will work.

To answer the original question, no, I doubt seriously that the TI's will be long enough. They have long silks and seem to be made for 34" basses.

6. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    sorry for confusion i thought we were talking about a 4/5 string bass,not a six....i tryed a d'addario xl "B" string on my schecter 35" and it fit fine,if in doubt email the manufacturer of the string,good-luck..

7. Hey guys I didn't know the number of strings was important.
    Mine is a 4 strings.

Will this give me more chance with the TI Powerbass?

Thanks

8. Measure your bass from right where the ball end sits in the bridge to the middle of the nut. That's the minimum distance you need before the headstock silk starts. I'll dig out a tape measure and a set of TIs later and post measurements.

mike
    dude's roadie

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I tried the Powerbass on my 35" scale MTD 435. Loved the strings. I had to shave off about 1/8" of the silk at the nut end - no big deal. The sound is very powerful, the string to string balance is unbeatable. For my solo and chordal work I've decided on the TI Jazz Bass Rounds - beautiful sound and a great feel

Mike

10. So, looks like from the ball end to the start of the silk, the shortest string (E) is 37". Hope this helps.

11. Thanks Mike

I measured what you describe and to the back (headstock side) of the nut it is exactly 37".

So I'll try them, worst case I'll shave off the silk.

BTW Is there anything wrong with shaving it a bit. Any special thing to do?

This is my first bass and this will be my first string change...

Thanks again!!!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why does it matter 4/5 vs. 6? Also, the XL's are generally sold extra long scale, made for both 34" and 35" scale.

Removing the silk shouldn't have any adverse affect on the strings unless you cut it up quite a bit. Should be fine, just make sure to get the winding all out for the section you need. I've never had any problems.

13. Pretty much, just be careful. Use a sharp razor blade or some very fine scissors, take as little off as possible, and many people have recommended a dab of clear nail polish to seal the cut silk back up and keep it from unwinding. Good luck!

mike
    dude's roadie