Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI PowerBass or Jazz Rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jun 30, 2004.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I want to try some different strings on my F Bass BN5. The Labelle SuperSteps sound nice and I like them except that they seem to go dead fairly quickly and they are hard to get. Can't find them anywhere locally. Have to order them.

So I'd like to try some Thomstiks based on popular opinion. Which stainless roundwound set would be recommended? TI PowerBass or TI Jazz bass roundwounds?

I play mostly funky, contemporary, jazzy, bluesy, and R&B/Motown type music. I favor a great slap tone like Marcus Miller.

Any idea which TI Strings would most closely resmble the LaBella Super Steps in terms of feel and tone?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had a set of TI Jazz Rounds (which I believe are nickel, not steel) on my F-Bass BN5 for about 8 or 9 months now. Because of the silk layer between the core and wrap, they don't have the zingy twang that most new roundwounds have. For me, this is a good thing--I find myself drawn to darker, deeper bass sounds, and fresh out of the box (IMO) the Jazz Rounds approximate the sound of a good set of nickel rounds that have been played in for a couple months.

That said, the low B doesn't sound quite as good as the other strings--it has a less focussed midrange and some weird overtones as you go above the 10th fret. Also, I kinda feel that the G string is a little too thin to balance properly with the other strings--I've had to lower the G bridge saddle and raise the pickups on that side to even out volume.

The JRs' are nice and flexible, but for some reason (maybe due to thin gauge/low tension or the silk dampening layer) they don't give quite the amount of rebound I like for slapping. I've had the same feeling with the TI Jazz Flats I have on my Godin SD-4. On the other hand, the TI's--both flat and round-- give me some of the best finger and pick tones I've ever gotten.

All in all, I think if you're looking for crunchy Marcus-style tone you'd probably be better off with the PowerBass. The JRs seem more suited to punchy, warm Old School tones.

Mystic Michael likes this.