Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Powerbass setup problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BFunk, Jun 17, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I just put a new set of Thomastik-Infeld Power Bass strings on my Roscoe Beck 5. Now I have some set-up problems. First, the nut slot for the D string seems to be a little tite. The string is 0.068" and the nut is probably cut for 0.065". Should I reslot the nut? If so, where can I get a file with that guage? Second, the B-string barely intonates correctly. I had to move the saddle all the way back. It was close but not exact. I had to lower the string more than I wanted to reduce the break angle. Is this because of the smaller diameter, (0.119")?

2. on the nut slot: if it buggs you about it being a "tight fit" then just use the string to kind of "file" enough material out (works on roundwound which i think Power bass are).

on the intonation issue-i think all TI strings are low tension... i have Ernie Ball slinkies on my bass and mine intonates better w/ higher tension... plus b strings are notorious for not getting into the proper intonation area.
    so the probably isnt much you can do short of move your bridge towards the rear of your bass(DONT DO IT)

hope that helps.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the "filing" suggestion. That sounds like it should work!

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    TI Powerbass strings have a fairly normal tension compared to most strings.

I've got sets on both 4 and 5 string basses, and I think they are the best roundwound strings on the market.

That said, the gauges are different, so you might benefit by a professional set up. I wouldn't advise using the string to try and widen the nut slot. You could very easily break the nut. Try running a pencil in the slot to lubricate it with graphite. That should be plenty. If you are only going from a .065" to a .068" there should be little need to recut the slot. But, again, take it to a professional. It's cheaper to get them to recut on slot as opposed to replacing the nut....

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The string sits in the slot fine. It's just really hard to tune-up. I am afraid that this will cause uneven stresses on the string which could break it.

6. lo-z
    take and rub a pencil lead in the slot a few times to get it covered in graphite....
    it should help the string move easier as graphite is a type of lubrication.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yep, that worked great. Thanks.

8. always glad to help a fellow basser... now if only i could get my bass in tip top playing condition.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I guess I wasn't clear when I said use a pencil to lubricate the nut...