Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Powerbass vs. other TI rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by embellisher, May 29, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard a lot of people raving about these strings, I needed a 5 string set for a gig, and I saw them for the first time in a local shop.

Impressions? That .119 low B is mucho cool. A little lower tension than I am used to(34.5" scale), but very nice fundamental and overtones.

The lighter tension on the G string also helped with the problem I have had with my G sounding a little thin.

I don't normally play nickels, because I like a very bright tone, but these aren't bad. I like them a lot, but for this price, I would rather be 100% happy.

My question is regarding the superalloy TI's, vs. the Powerbass. What is superalloy? And are the superalloy strings brighter than the Powerbass?

Thanks!

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't know about the Powerbass, but SA's are much brighter than the Jazz Rounds.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

If you want brighter, you won't be happy with the Superalloys. They are like a hybrid of the PB and the Jazz Rounds. The best way I can think of to describe them is that they are like a worn in set of Powerbass strings right out of the gate.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Darn. Thanks for the info, bassmonkee. So, TI doesn't make any stainless steel rounds, huh?

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nope. No TI ss rounds.

I've recently become completely enamoured with Sadowsky strings. I've got both nickel rounds and flats on my Bongos and Sadowsky. I like the flats more than TI Jazz Flats, and I like the nickel rounds almost as much as Powerbass. Sadowsky does make ss rounds.

You might like 'em if you like the Powerbass but want something a little brighter.

www.mymusicstuff.com has them for a great price.
    I've picked up 4-5 sets of strings from there and have nothing but good things to say about them.

FYI :D