TI powerbass vs Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gab124, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hello all, I would like to know if anyone has some comparisons between the two - PB and Sunbeams? I did a search and did not find too much info about the PB in general. I currently run Sunbeams and like them a great deal, but I have heard that the PB will stay "fresh" for a long time, and if they are close to the beams then I would like to give them a try. These would go on a warmoth dinky jazz with fender neck, nordy bigsplits and sadowsky pre with VTC. I play only fingerstyle in the classic/pop/blues rock genres. Any thoughts?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Let me say up front that I've never used TI strings.

With that out of the way, I'll spew my opinions :)

I see in your sig that you use Circle K and DR strings. If you think you're going to find a string that lasts longer than either of those, you're living in a dreamland!

And I'm not sure if you noticed, but you can buy 2-3 sets of DR's or Circle K's for the price of one set of TI's. Would one set of TI's really outlast 3 sets of DR's? I doubt it, but again..I don't know.

3. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    All good points. Sometimes one just thinks "what if that is my string". I do love the sunbeams, and the K's on certain basses for sure.

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I haven't played the PB's, but I do play the Infeld SA's, and I think they may be a better comparison to the Sunbeams. The SA's are about the smoothest sounding rounds I've ever heard right out of the pack. They still "settle-in" and warm up beautifully. Best sounding worn-in rounds I've ever played as well. I have a 3 year old set on my G&L SB1, and they sound incredible. I really like the Sunbeams too, but they don't die quite as gracefully as the SA's..... IMO.

5. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    I have TI Super Alloys, and they are great nickel strings, so warm and balanced, but they have little weird feeling under fingers, not so smooth and they are little stiff for my taste. Today I bought Sunbeams, this is my first time with DR strings, so I need few days to see how they sound with the band, I will post some clips soon!:bassist:

6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Stiff??????
    I find them to be very flexible, and lower tension feeling. Much moreso than say, DA's in a similar gauge.

7. Superalloys are very different than the Sunbeams. Sunbeams have a round core and thusly are very flexible. Both the Superalloys and the Powerbass have hex cores. A true comparison would be TI Jazz Rounds which are also built on a round core. If you like the Sunbeams than the Powerbass will be very different feeling. They are fantastic strings but they are higher tension and the hex core will make them feel a little less flexible. While the Sunbeams are a warm sounding string the Powerbass are a high output and zingy string. They are made for high output rock and cutting through and they do it well. They do last a long time but IMO so do the Sunbeams. If you want something that feels like the DR Sunbeams but last a little longer than I would say choose the Jazz Rounds. They have much more stronger mids though.

8. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Some great comments in there, lot of things to work from,. I appreciate all the comments. I was looking at the super alloys as well. I really want a very balanced tone both in the frequencies and the volume.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021