TI Round users: what's your action like?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How do y'all think these strings sound best, at low action, or higher action? I've been trying to achieve a good "pluck" on a fretless, and have (so far) found that these strings "like" the higher action. Although, they sound great at low action too, but they're very responsive, and they tend to be a little sensitive that way. Have any of you experimented with your action, with these strings? Any experiences to share?
  2. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    You should never set up action based on sound. Set it based on playability. Well, if you're not a speedy solo player then I suppose any action will do. But even then, why torture your hands with strings a mile off the fretboard? Make it easy on yourself and don't fight the instrument... get the strings nice and low.

That's just my opinion.

But different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    As low as I can get 'em.
  4. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I like my action set *low*, but I find the lower tension of the Jazz Flats makes them buzz a bit if I get to diggin' hard. So, I set basses with JF's on them a bit higher than I would otherwise prefer.

That said, the lower tension also tend to make fretting easier and faster (IMO) so it kind of balances out!

YMMV of course...
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Many people set up action based on sound. Sound affects everyone, playability affects you.
  6. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm going to have to disagree on that. Playability affects everyone as well, because, if I can't play with ease and comfort, then I won't enjoy myself and I'll (possibly) sound like hell. Playability is the single most important thing on an instrument.

You can manipulate sound with many other means. Besides, I really don't know anyone who adjusts sound based on someone else's taste. We all seem to strive for that perfect sound that pleases us, the players, don't we?

But I get your point about the importance of sound and respect your opinion.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lol i like the disclaimer at the end.

Anywho, im no one to say playability isnt important, ive got like OCD about it. Im a setup freak. :p
  8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Interesting... I just put a set on one of my basses, and overall liked the sound, but buzzing did increase from my other strings. I actually had to adjust my action a little to accomodate the strings. Nothing drastic, but it is a little bothersome. Not sure how much I like them overall because of this... only time will telll
  9. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I don't want to make enemies on the forum. ;)

And I'm the same way, as far as my setup. Every little thing on my bass is "measured to perfection". :cool:
  10. I`m using thomastik infeld powerbass strings (47-119, i think so, i can`t remember exactly, hehe)
    I`m very common with the sound and the flexibility!!!
    they`re really good. yeah.
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I haven't played their strings on any of my basses for some time now, but a while back, I remeber having to adjust the action up a bit higher than normal because their string tension was much lighter than my previous strings.
  12. When I used TI Jazz Flats I had to raise the E string slightly due to its flexability.