TI strings for rock?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hgupta, Jun 5, 2002.

1. hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    I'm looking for new strings for my Peavey Dyanbass (fretted with active pickups), but I can't afford to buy sets of strings just to try them. I was hoping for some suggestions.
    I recently started playing bass in a rock band that is probably best categorized as hard rock or maybe garage rock. I play pick-style, with bass lines that are sometimes fast, but fairly easy, and almost everything is on the E or A strings, mimicing the rhythm guitar. I tend to turn down the treble to avoid hearing my fingerprints scratching against the strings.
    With this information, can anyone recommend a good set of strings? Also I've read a lot of praise for the T-I flatwound jazz bass strings, and I was wondering if anyone has tried using these strings in a rock band? What about the TI powerbrights?
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I use the TI Powerbass strings in a rock band -- they kill!! I use them on my 5 string with active electronics. The tone and volume are very even, string to string, and they sounds great with a pick.

Right now, I'm having my P bass set up with TI flats. I'll let you know how it sounds, but judging from my experience with TI strings in general, I'm sure it'll sound fantastic.

I would recommend the Powerbass strings for your application... you can always cut the treble if you find them too bright. Also, they will last a very long time.
  3. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    I heartily second the recommendation for Powerbass strings for rock. They've got a great, balanced sound, and they last quite a long while. I've got them on all of my 4 strings, and I love them.

Dude's Roadie
    Yes, I work for a TI dealer, but I've been using these strings and recommending them since well before I started the job.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Check out my review at bgra.net