Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI strings for rock?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hgupta, Jun 5, 2002.

1. hgupta

hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    Memphis
    I'm looking for new strings for my Peavey Dyanbass (fretted with active pickups), but I can't afford to buy sets of strings just to try them. I was hoping for some suggestions.
    I recently started playing bass in a rock band that is probably best categorized as hard rock or maybe garage rock. I play pick-style, with bass lines that are sometimes fast, but fairly easy, and almost everything is on the E or A strings, mimicing the rhythm guitar. I tend to turn down the treble to avoid hearing my fingerprints scratching against the strings.
    With this information, can anyone recommend a good set of strings? Also I've read a lot of praise for the T-I flatwound jazz bass strings, and I was wondering if anyone has tried using these strings in a rock band? What about the TI powerbrights?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use the TI Powerbass strings in a rock band -- they kill!! I use them on my 5 string with active electronics. The tone and volume are very even, string to string, and they sounds great with a pick.

Right now, I'm having my P bass set up with TI Flats. I'll let you know how it sounds, but judging from my experience with TI strings in general, I'm sure it'll sound fantastic.

I would recommend the Powerbass strings for your application... you can always cut the treble if you find them too bright. Also, they will last a very long time.

3. I heartily second the recommendation for Powerbass strings for rock. They've got a great, balanced sound, and they last quite a long while. I've got them on all of my 4 strings, and I love them.

Mike
    Dude's Roadie
    Yes, I work for a TI dealer, but I've been using these strings and recommending them since well before I started the job.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Check out my review at bgra.net