1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI SuperAlloys -vs- PowerBass -vs- Jazz Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jallenbass, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I've been moving a set of TI SuperAlloys around to different basses and am really enjoying their sound on every bass I've tried them on especially in a band setting. Great mids, articulate when played softly and aggressive (but not abrasive) when played hard. I get the most dynamic range from them out of any string I've tried. I'm now curious about the other TI rounds. Any experiences?

2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Jazz Rounds are a totally different world, they are thin, almost flatwound (they are kind of compression wound), and sound extremely mellow and middy. if you search, there is a topic I opened about them, with samples and pictures.

3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I found the TI PowerBass set very mellow and nearly flatwound-like in tone, like Pier_ described the Jazz Rounds. I thought they were extremely high quality strings overall, but "mellow and nearly flatwound-like" was not what I was hoping for out of them. If that's what you want, buy a set today! Great product.

And in turn, I am curious what their Super Alloy set sounds like...

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The SuperAlloys are definitely not "mellow and nearly flatwound-like".

e-flat and trothwell like this.
  5. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

i only have experience with the jazz rounds = i like them a lot and gig with them regularly. i like the small/thin gauge, the 'loose' tension feel, and the overall feel of the round windings.

i may have to try the superalloys. edit: whoops: they are to heavy for my fretless style!

6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I will only add that the SuperAlloy's just sound "bigger" and maybe not as focused as the Jazz Rounds. More lows and highs--but not brittle or harsh, but not scooped like many rounds. They are not similar at all. The Jazz Rounds seem to go more in the flat direction as Pier said. The really loose tension of the Jazz Rounds takes some getting use to--and I like light strings. The SA's are really nice, but don't get much love for some reason. I have them on a '64 T-Bird and it sounds fantastic. The strings sounded good on other basses from what I recall, but it's been a while since they were on anything else.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    trothwell and jallenbass like this.