Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does anybody like these guys. I bought this CD on the basis of the name plus the artwork. Plus it was used for 8 bucks, I was able to give a quick listen at the store, but after a couple listens I love it. The name of the album is "Clouds"... after a little research, I discovered these guys were one of the revolutionaries in the realm of Symphonic Black Metal. It's really cool, it doesn't remind me of anything, it isn't really over the top in any which way. But it spans over quite a bit of space. Some accoustic guitars here and there. A little ambient key stuff. Mostly really cool guitar playing. The vocals are the midrangey growl kind of vocals... not too abrasive. See... I guess I do like Black Metal... when it doesn't suck. *Remeber that thread? Emperor really bothered me... everything reverbed... bleck* This is really good.

Anyone heard of them? Like them?

I think I'm getting my metal back. :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have Wildhoney / Gaia and think that its a pretty cool album, but never really heard any of their other stuff.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You should really check out Therion's later work if you like metal with a symphonic twist. Tiamat has yet to come close to even Therion's earliest work with symphonic elements (which they were one of the pioneers of).

But to answer the original question, I like Tiamat as well, just not as much as some other bands.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on. It's just that this is the first symphonic black metal band I heard personally that wasn't... brutal for the lack of a better word. Stuff like Cradle of Filth, Dimmur Bourg (sp?), and Emporer is just too much for me... though I do like Dimmur sometimes. Tiamat kind of seems like an expansion on Mercyful Fate. I'm going to be checking bands out like mad once I get DSL.