1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tic-Tac Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wb0ldj, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wb0ldj

wb0ldj

Apr 22, 2009
    Overland, MO
    Hi Folks,

I'm approximately half-way through a tic-tac building project. I started off with a regular 4-string short-scale (30") no-name beater. I stripped the finish, removed all electronics and hardware, filled in the bridge pickup hole in the body, and plugged the holes in the headstock. Then I drilled 6 new holes in the headstock for a set of open gear guitar tuning machines, purchased a top-loader 6-string bridge and a Kent Armstrong humbucker.

Next step is to finish all the sanding and body shaping, filling, sealing and polyurethane spray coats on the body and neck, and put the thing together. I plan to string it with 24-84 strings and tune E-E an octave below guitar. Hopefully, I won't have to do to much bridge drilling to get the big ole strings through. I'm also hoping that I won't have a lot of trouble playing with all those strings on a neck that's 1-5/8" at the nut!

Worst case scenario is to find another beater and start over. I love doing stuff like this and have built a dynamite fretless bass out of a beater with a standard long scale. I did a lot of body sculpting Strat-style on it, and the plywood laminations really look cool with a maple stain and gloss poly finish! In fact, I use it more than my other basses. I probably have a hundred bucks and several hundred hours worth of labor invested in it.

Anyone have any tips, hints or suggestions for the tic-tac project (too late for "don't")? Honestly, I doubt that I'll use a tic-tac very much - it's kind of a niche instrument - but it'll be fun to get it all built and see how it sounds!

Wish me luck!

Mike
    mharmon at att dot net

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a bass player to the core, but I dabble in the 6 string world and so I have much love for tic-tacs, baritone guitars, Bass VIs, bajo sextos and the like. ;)

:::subscribed::::