Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ticketmaster's convenience fee is a joke...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by protoz, Aug 2, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I ordered my Ozzfest tickets for the Aug. 7th show in Wisconsin. I live in Iowa. so I want my ticket before it sells out. The ticket was $65 itself which I thought was fine as there are a lot of quality acts playing.

Ticket master charges me a $3 building fee for no reason, then a $10 fee for using Ticketmaster. So I'm at $78 now, not too bad getting a little higher then I expected...then the low blow...

$15 to ship a piece of paper!

As if the $10 fee wasn't enough they charge you a stupid high price for shipping.

I would have gone to my local Ticketmaster, but it recently shut down and the closest ticket master would have cost me more than the $15 shipping in gas to drive to and back so I just bit the bullet.

Something needs to be done I feel with ticketmaster extorting sooo much money from customers for no real reason. Especially in shipping!

2. Frankly I'm surprised either the federal government, or local state governments don't go after Ticketmaster, since they basically have a monopoly and are just gouging people for no extra value added services.

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Take a stand! Refuse to give in to their extortion! DON'T GO! Sell your ticket.

Besides, I think Ozzy has missed more of these Ozzfest shows than he's made.

(Plus, rumor has it that he drenches himself with water right as he goes onstage because he's become incontinent).

4. Ever look at an itemized bill from college? Same problem. I got charged a "building use fee" for buildings I wasn't taking classes in. Only one way to fix that: use the buildings. So in my final semester at Lamar University (Beaumont, Texas), I took a map of the campus and marked all of the restrooms. I made sure that if I had to take a crap, it was done at school. Over the course of the semester, I justified every building use fee I was assessed.

Now, how did I fight Ticketmaster and their stupid charges? I stopped going to festivals.

Mike

5. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Don't they charge you 5 dollars for YOU to print off tickets at YOUR house?

6. this is so true. sometimes the cost of the ticket ends up being doubled by "fees" that ticketmaster imposes. it is getting to be ridiculous. i understand that they are running a business and are in need of turning a profit, but they have definetly monopolized the market.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It's gotten to the point where I've really cut back on the number of shows that I attend anymore. I saw Robert Plant a few weeks ago. The ticket was $60 dollars and the surcharges were $40. For 40% of the ultimate price of the ticket, pushing the total into triple digits, to be going to things not related to the artist or the actual show...that seems a bit beyond reason. I also saw Tom Petty a few weeks ago too. Price of the ticket was $40, with another $20 for extra fees.

Both concerts were sold out, so obviously the market can bear these prices and the public seems to be willing to pay them. As long as that continues to be the case, I can't see prices going anywhere but up. :(

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  9. I recently went to a killers concert $20 for crappy lawn seats... $15 for charges that I have no idea were for. I thought it mighta just been a thing they did because I live in Canada, but apparently not!

10. It's not a convenience if you have to pay money...

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I don't use ticketmaster. I purchase tickets directly from the venue. If they only sell tickets through ticket master I don't go.

Simple