1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ticking off mom with excessive snopitude.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So my mom always forwards me these emails about things like some giant weasel that was killed in some guy's shoe and it's 300 feet long and there's a picture of the dead weasel wearing a necklace of human heads or something along with a story about how it and where it was killed.

Anyway, I usually take 30 seconds to look up the story on snopes and I send the real story back to her. Today she got kinda po'ed when I hit "reply all" in response to her giant alligator forward and commented how the alligator seems to have grown 10 feet since the original story was published and I linked to snopes. She sent me back a slightly huffy email calling me a buzzkill. :D

So have you ever po'ed anyone by debunking their fun little emails?

bc

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    People don't send that kind of thing to me anymore, unless they are debunking someone else and are too lazy to do the search themselves.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Are we feeling smug? I think you may have some competition in that case...

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My wife's sister used to CONSTANTLY send those until one day I found and forwarded a "form letter" that started out:

"Dear Fu***ng Idiot.

Bill Gates does not care if you forward this 10 times, and is not giving you $500 for doing so"

It got better from there.

She doesn't send them anymore.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My mom quit sending me this stuff after I pointed her out to snopes.com.

:D

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You guys do know that snopes.com is an urban legend right?

7. I don't accept any of these forwards. I repel them away from my inbox using only will-power.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, but I'm going to start. It sounds like a lot of fun.

9. I periodically used to get "motivational mail", which basically said crap like "one that chooses to utilize the snooze button implies that he/she is not ready and probably will not be ready to begin the day." I finally sent a few smartass emails about how if I was so horrible at living my own life I'd gladly throw a few weeks to keep them busy. The emails stopped

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I get stuff like that all the time too. Working at a school makes you realize that about 85% of teachers are total cheeseballs. Good folk, but total cheeseballs.

bc

11. lol the problem is that THIS IS my life (playing music and working a job and doing college) and if a guy's busting his hump already, why push?

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    All my silly relatives include me on their stupid forwards. I always reply to all if its a hoax virus thing, or a fake pic or whatever. I always want to put in there "If your message says FW: in the subject, you can bet Im prolly deleting it without even looking, or will be debunking the claims made within" hehe.

A few people have caught on that Im no fun when it comes to chain letters and stupid virus warnings hehe.

13. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    These things are the bane of my life. Being a teenage kid, it seems all my peers have some sort of unholy obsession with chain emails. I was hoping it got better as your friends aged :(

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It only gets worse, my friend. Wait until you get a job in a somewhat large organization. :rolleyes:

bc

15. Cheeze, man, can you please e-mail or PM that letter to me, I really need to have a copy of it handy, and I lost it in a hard drive meltdown a few years back...

:hyper:

16. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    yep, I do that. a couple of my relatives have even started sending the forwards to me first for debunking, before they send to all their friends. I used to use the Urban Legends page on About.com, but Snopes is just more concise. Let us stop the spread of misinformation!

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I work in an extremely large organization, but luckily the people in my group usually send out movie clips of dogs that pick up roman candles in their mouths and the hilarity that ensues. That, and dirty jokes.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Five or six of my friends and relatives used to blitz every imaginable urban legend to everyone they knew. I'd look it up on snopes or about.com's urban legends site, grab the URL, and reply to all with the message, "Read more about this at" and then the link.

One former co-worker accused me of trying to make her look stupid to everyone by sending a link to the debunking info to everyone. I replied that at worst I was probably just making her look gullible; making her look smart or stupid was not in my hands.

Eventually the breathless warnings about cacti exploding with spiders and gang members driving at night with their lights off and terrorists plotting against trick-or-treaters at malls dwindled away to almost nothing. Hooray for Snopes and urbanlegends.about.com!!!

19. yeah, my mom sends me emails about how the government has been caught putting tracking chips in the computers, and a lot of that computer garbage that tells you that there is a new virus that kills your dog or something. I just reply to her and tell her that she should spray the inside of her computer with lysol so that it stays virus free...

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Gard..I don't have it anymore, but if I find it again, I'll send it right away!