tied notes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cristo, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I'm trying to learn to read music. Not easy to do when you can already play, and you are struggling to figure out if that dot is a C or a D and wait, was there a sharp back there?...

I have no idea how a piano player can read two different lines at the same time, one for each hand, especially since the lines do not equate to the same notes...

What is the purpose of showing two tied notes in the notation?

For example, two tied eighth notes, which is played as one quarter note. So, why not show a quarter note?

This makes no sense to me.

Also, I have seen some notation where, in a sequence of 4 sixteenth notes, the first note is shown tied to the third. Huh?!?!
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    As for two 8th notes tied together, that's often done across what's called the "imaginary barline," essentially dividing a 4-beat measure into two 2-beat measures. It's done this way to make the downbeats more obviously visible.
  3. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    The ties are so you can read the actual beat divisions. It would be really tough to read music where, for example, a quarter note started on the AND of beat 1, and the next note started on the AND of beat 2. So, instead, you put two eighth notes tied together, with the second eighth note making it clear where beat two starts.
  4. What about
    • 2 sixteenths tied together that are NOT the same pitch, or
    • when the first sixteenth in a group of four is tied to the third?
  5. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    2 16ths tied together generally just denotes a "slur" or "legato" playing, where you try not to have as much of a separate attack on the note. For the second example, it simply seems like those three notes (the first through third) should be played legato.
  6. One great reason to tie two notes is to show a note that covers separate measures. For example, if you want a quarter note to play on the 8th count of an 8 | 8 time signature in one measure and hold over through the first note of the next measure you'd need to place an eighth note as the last note of the first measure and an eighth note as the first note of the next measure and tie them across the measure divide. Make sense?