Tiger Woods' "Gutsy" Four-Peat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Being the only four-times-in-a-row winner of the Bay Hill golf tournament would be enough of an achievement for most golfers, but that wasn't enough for Woods. Yesterday, he won while battling severe food poisoning.

After a night of vomiting more than twenty times, he played his round and vomited during play nine more times, doubling over at the side of the course! By his last putt, he was so dehydrated and weak, he could hardly wave to his fans.

I have to hand it to Woods. That guy is really a competitor. By the way, it is said that the source of the food poisoning was a pasta dish prepared by his girlfriend. Whew! Tough love.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Gives new meaning to the phrase that :

"Golf is a good walk spoiled!!" ;)
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would watch more golf if every match included a battle with Bob Barker.

Tiger Woods is tough! Food poisoning is rather distracting. ;)
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm not much for golf, but i can definitely respect and admire someone of his skill and ability, and watching him play actually makes it a bit more interesting, imo.

now, the added bonus of inter-hole barfing is just like icing on the cake :D ;)
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I just lost all respect for him after reading March 2003 Golf Digest, not that I had much for him before.

Here's an example of a story that was in the magazine: He's partnered up with 3 others, all amateurs, for a father-son-uncle-cousin golf outing. When he won $3 million, he refused to share it with his partners, citing that they were there just for the endorsement.

I can honestly say that if I was paired up with him and we won, I'd expect a fair piece of the pie! And, with Tiger, he doesn't even need the money!
  6. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    was he pooping too? hehehe

sorry for my imaturity.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd love to hear the details on this one;)
  8. I guess his girlfriend just wanted to make the competition a little more even. Tiger is too good.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There was a whole page of anecdotes from his 2002 season. That story was just one of 'em.
  10. The really scary thing is that Tiger is head and shoulders above everyone else -- and every single golfer on the PGA Tour is an amazing player. He won the tournament by 11 shots. Whilst vomiting.
  11. Besides, any of us could beat the major championship winners Vardon, Taylor and Braid - they're dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. On the topic of golf, here's a good one: Ernie Els, whose finished 19 shots behind Tiger at Bay Hill, mostly due to his sore wrist, has now withdrawn from this weekend's Players Championship. Els injured his wrist while working out with a heavy bag. Help me out here: if you're a professional golfer, someone who makes a living with their hands, why on earth would you be working out with a punching bag?!?
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hey, if you get the leader in the woods, out of sight of the gallery...

could come in handy;)
  14. Brad,

Along those same lines....

Several years ago, I think it was at the Colonial, after three rounds Tiger was leading and Justin Leonard was second behind him by a number of shots. When asked by a reporter what he would have to shoot to win the tournament, Leonard quipped, "Tiger Woods."
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Heck if I had a girlfriend as hot as Tiger's I'd be willing to take the occasional food poisoning from her.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Then I'm sure you'll enjoy these donuts I found behind the TB refrigerator.