1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tigers outscore Twins 33-1!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 30, 2006.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know it's WAY EARLY to get excited but it appears Detroit has a major league baseball team for a change. To quote ESPN Baseball Tonight:

"The Detroit Tigers jumped out of the gate in 2006 winning their first five games before losing six of their next eight. At 7-6 and following a 10-2 home loss to Cleveland, manager Jim Leyland went off on his team, saying the losing was unacceptable.

Detroit has responded to the manager's tirade, going 9-3, including a three-game sweep of the Twins that concluded on Sunday with a 6-0 victory.

In the sweep, Detroit outscored Minnesota 33-1 and outhit the Twins 47-15. The Tigers became the fifth team since 1951 and the first since 2002 to outscore an opponent by 32 or more runs in a three-game series. The Angels outscored the Indians 36-4 in a three-game sweep in May of 2002. All five games on this list were American League games"

Now if ONLY the Lions could........Nah (Don't even think it:D )

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    .....the Pirates gave up on Shelton. :(

-Mike

3. hate to burst your bubble, but look who they played...they were playing a high school team*

*please note sarcasm of how bad the twins are...and i want to throw in the cubs and the brewers for that matter...just just plain suck

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    So far they have the best ERA in the league as well as opposing batting average, and offensively the most home runs in the league, and top 5 in hits, RBI, SLG, and OPS.

I hope they keep it up. But burk... don't even think about the Lions right now. I don't want to see you torture yourself any further. ;)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think that's the difference. They've had plenty of heavy-hitting teams but it seems like the pitching has never really been able to back it up for a consistent length of time. If they can bring the ferocious batting that we've seen in the past and keep those pitching stats consistent then no one will be able to stop them.

bc

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's not looking any better, the NL Central might be pretty tough this season. Even Milwaukee is playing above .500.

7. I thought you meant 33-1 in one Game!

Now that would actally be worth its own thread. :rolleyes:

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's the Tigers. by mid-season they will once again be below 500. After a couple seasons they will fire the manager and hire someone else.

I hope the Tigers stay horrible. I loathe that corporate cookie cutter ballpark they now play at called "Comerica Park". What a joke.

If they get better then I might have to pay more than 5$ for a seat, and then I'm going to be surrounded by actual people at the games. I like it better when you and your friends get an entire section to yourselves.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I was hoping Jim Leyland would come back to Pittsburgh, but instead, they ignored him and the Tigers swiped him up. He's done good things in the Pittsburgh, and oh yeah, he helped the friggin Marlins win a World Series.

I don't know about Comerica Park, but a lot of newer ballparks aren't "cookie cutter" anymore. In fact, that's the description most clubs sought to avoid after parks like Three Rivers, the Vet, etc started getting old.

10. Yeah beating the Twins is nothing to get excited about...

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    It would be more impressive if it was all in one game...

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i too thought it was a one game score

still not bad... but it was the twins...

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah but in the last two weeks they also won a series with LA (div. Champ), Seatle, Oakland and split a series with Cleveland. Am I ready to buy Series tickets? Nope! But for the first time in a long time this team that is pretty good on paper is playing like it. My hunch, barring any major injuries they'll be in the wild card hunt.

14. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Comerica Park opened after a wave of stadiums that were part of the backlash againts those parks like Three Rivers, etc. Its really similar to the parks in Cleveland, Baltimore, etc...which is probably why he called it cookie cutter. Comerica followed the trend of going against the opder trend.

I like it though!

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't understand why exactly people like Comerica Park. How can anyone take a place called "Comerica Park" seriosuly? I have enough corporate jargon shoved in my face every day. I don't need it at a baseball game.

- They have extremly lame Tiger and giant baseball bat statues in the front and a ferris wheele inside. This a ballpark, not an amusement park.

- They don't have cheap bleacher seats anyways. They have cars displayed in top of the cliche fountain that erupts after a homerun is hit. Stupid.

- They blast annoying music so loud in between innings that you can barley have a conversation with the person sitting next to you.

- A skyline view of half abandoned delapitated buildings.

- The park was horribly designed. They encorporated NOTHING of the old historic park into it.

- The front row of the upper deck is further away from the field than the last row of the upper deck at the old Tiger Stadium.

- When it rains you get wet. Never used to at the old ballpark.

- Possibly the most depressing, you can see the old Tiger Stadium from the upper deck.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The ferris wheel disagrees. The tiger is indifferent.

bc