1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Tight" B-string on short-scale 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone 70, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Now, I do realize that "tightness" is subjective...

But, is this even physically possible? I do have a basic understanding of the relationship between scale length and string tension.

I would prefer a lighter and shorter scale 5-string (BEADG) bass, but don't want to give up tone or a well-defined B string. Low action is a must, too.

Thoughts?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    In general, a fatter b string counters shorter B string

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  3. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have a Yamaha TRB5 (gen. 1), which is a 34" scale 5er; MIJ, mid/late '90s, bolt on construction. Strung with EB Cobalt strings (45-130), it has a very nice action and a great, even souind across the strings.

I don't see these up for sale very often. After this generations of the series (TRB-II, TRB100x, TRBX), Yamaha went to a 35" scale length in the 5 & 6 string models.

I understand Elrick makes a very nice 33" scale, and would probably do a 5er for you.

Steve Lawson likes this.
  4. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I'd throw the Brubaker Brute in the mix. I've had mine go head-to-head with a Lakland and was very pleased how the B held its own! Similar neck profile, but just a comfier, shorter-scale fit. Some have even argued it feels like a 33" due to how deep the neck pocket is. :)
    bb-brute.

5. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Nice!

What are the scale lengths? I don't see short scale basses on Brubaker's website.

6. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
  7. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    The rough math of it is that to replicate, say, the tension of a 0.125" B string of a 35" scale onto a 33" scale, you need a string (if it's of the same design and material) that is 35/33 as thick, so 0.125" * 35 / 33 = 0.132". It will not be tonally the same, but that would equalize the tension.

joebar and 13lues like this.
  8. JayDA

JayDA Space is deep Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Jersey
    It's physically possible....I sound like a broken record lately, but I just LOVE this bass so much. Birdsong HY5, 31" scale and a great B string. Strung .045 - .130

HY5_zpsifgi2rve.

Atshen, petch, Ken J and 3 others like this.
  9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    This is the answer: OBS

Outrageous punch and definition:

10. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I would agree with this. When I played my 34" Brute against a 35" Lakland, I found the tonality to be different between the 2 vs the tension. It was like 2 different flavors of chocolate. The same in most all of their tonal color but yet different in their own merit. Unless you had them side by side you almost wouldn't know.

11. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Fantastic sound. Beautiful, too. Slightly out of my price range, though...

12. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    +100 for the hy5!!
    had ti flats on one... B string is killer... she is now currently sporting la Bellas tiger tapewounds... nice fat tone...
    neat how all the strings on your hy5 are "double string through", not just the B... yours is gorgeous!

Hambone 70 likes this.
  13. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    love this bass... super fun to play... sounds bigger than she looks! although B is not "tightest", still very playable! strung her with neons!

14. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Like it!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  15. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I've heard about the Kiesel Vader headless bass which comes in a short-scale version for 4, 5, and 6-string basses. It uses some kind of locking system which allows you to use literally any length string. Looking at people's reviews they all say the B-string is perfectly fine on the short-scale version.

16. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Very interesting!

Not too sure about the Vader's 80s poodle-hair rock styling, though.

Herrick and 3rdWatch like this.
  17. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Man I couldn't have said it better! I was gonna order a short scale 6 Vader, but could never get past the looks to lay down the cash...

18. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I actually think they look much better with the natural wood finishes instead of the bright, vibrant solid colors that turn a lot of people off. They look great when the neck stripes show through.

vb4-rtf-aat-ash-tn-strf-sdl-rwf-dba-5wm-wk-sl-dslg-bpr-133488_gallery.

vb4-cs-wal-strf-5mw-zwf-dba-sl-bl-45-bpz-133520_gallery.

vb5-rtf-ash-aat-5wm-tn-rwf-dba-stf-sdl-kl-dslg-132024_gallery.

vb5-cs-ash-lmbt-5mm-strf-sdl-bpe-45-sl-rj2-bl-133598_gallery.

6-cs-tc-cali-to-nin-300-5mm-efb-sdl-stjf-rj2-bpe-sl-45-dslg-50-transblackburst-ac-133606_gallery.

This one is probably what you guys are talking about...
    vb4-krg-cs-dmp-132017_gallery.

19. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    I'd still be tempted to take a sander to the body contours! But yes, the natural finish doesn't pull your eye to the funky shaping as much.