Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tight cabinets ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Sep 17, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi.

I have a ampeg svt 4 pro and I'm looking for cabinet(s) for it. I bought two aguilar GS112's, but I don't think they are tight enough.

Now I'm testing with a Hartke 1x15 cab, which is very nice and tight, but handles only 200w.

Does anyone of you know about tight cabinets that I should try? I'm especially interested in hearing about tight ampeg cabinets, if that exists.

By tight I mean it has to have a good attack and response good when I am playing hard on the bridge-pickup. I have experienced a good round bass sound from most cabinets when I play "regular", but when I go solo and play harder, they cabinet isn't responding the way I want. I have tried Galanti 4x10, Eden 4x10XLT, Eden 210T, Aguilar GS112, and the Hartke cab. I like the sound/response in the Hartke cab best, which is weird, since FWIK Eden and Aguilar are considered "better" bass cabs, but it's not loud enough.

I like the way Will Lee sounds on Letterman when he uses Jazz Basses, mixed with the defined Motown-sound (just to get you an idea of what I am trying to get). I don't like high trebs - I want the sound to be dead-defined (don't defined by using alot of treble)

I appreciate responses to this as I really don't know what to get. Not that I can get much more than ampeg, fender, hartke, aguilar or eden cabs either... but suggestions are welcome. As I said, I am especially interested in hearing about Ampeg cabs

OK, I may have written many dumb things now but it's hard to explain this when I'm not really much of an english-writer.

2. It may not just be your cabs, try changing your EQ i think you mean punch ( tight ? ) ive got ampeg cabs and i wouldnt say they are tight but with various eq tweeks you can make them sound different depending on taste etc.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think what you mean by "tightness" is less emphasis on the 100-400 Hz range where many cabs (like the Ags) are overhyped to sound "deep" and "warm". I always felt that some bass cabs have TOO MUCH low end and end up sounding very fat at the cost of note definition.

Try a Hartke 4-10 and if you can find a local dealer some Bergantino cabs. I assume you have already tried the various Ampeg cabs with 10s and didn't like them?

Good luck.

4. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks for answers!

No, I have not tried many ampeg cabs and I'm curious about them. Got anything to recommend?

I think this is more about my choice of cabinets than EQ. I find, as you say, the Aguilar cabinets a little muddy.

The Hartke 1x15 sounds very good, but it's too small as it can handle only 200w.

Thanks again, for helping me out here :)

5. Tight?

Check out Bergantino NV-series. They have that tight bottom end that you can only get from a sealed cabinet.

6. Some of you may laugh but the Peavey 410TVX is a cracking cab, far tighter and accurate than the trace elliot 410.

7. As pointed out above, most cabs are engineered to over-hype the mid-bass.

Two reasons: first is saleability, because that fat bump gives the illusion of big bass, but at the expense of bottom. Second reason is cabinet size. Most bass drivers require larger cabinet volumes than is commercially viable. So, these drivers are stuffed into a too-small cabinet (Carvin, Eden, etc).

If you want the best attack (transients) a D2 aligned sealed box is the ticket. After that, a B2 sealed box, then an SBB4 vented box. You will have to build your own.

10" drivers have a much higher motor-to-mass ratio than larger drivers, and can exert more precise control over the cone.

The Eminence B102 10" driver is ideally suited for vented SBB4. It runs in 0.59 cubic feet net volume (each), and is near the top of the list for BL:MMS ratio.

In 12", look at the Beyma 12G125, and in 15" the JBL drivers dominated the top slots.

8. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I'm looking at Avatar.

The B410 Delta is getting good reveiws. Anyone used the B410NEO or B410PRO?

9. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    What do you think of Ampeg cabinets for my SVT 4 Pro? Anything to recommend? Would SVT410HE or maybe BSE 410H be tight cabinets worth a try?

10. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i would stay away from ampegs because all the ones i've heard have that same ampeg signature bottom. i've noticed the phenomenon with the 15 no tweet you're talking about. i broke out my OLD peavey combo a while back just for kicks and was amazed at the clarity from a single 15 with no tweeter. it was a different kind of clarity than i'm used to(midrangy without the high end)it's not really my bag but it's definately workable. it improved greatly when i ran my pre into the peavey. the only problem with running a 15 that has great midrange response is that low end usually suffers. of course most of the bass doesn't become audible until some distance away from the cab. i say if 15's give you the sound you want then hunt for cabs with 15's. boogie made a great 215. hell even old peavey (blackwidow equipped) 15 cabs can sound good and are usually dirt cheap. but if you want the cadillac, begantino nv series.(not really a fan of swr cabs but that's just me)
    just try out every cab you can

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Another vote for the bergantino nv cabs. Ive used a nv610 with a 4-pro. Nice and tight and you really can dial in a lot of lows, highs and everything in between. Great match!

12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    You haven't heard tight until you've heard Bag End cabs. My Bag End 15 is tight and punchy like a 12. Bag End makes a great-sounding 210 cab, but it only comes in the 4-ohm variety.

If you're on a budget, pair up an Avatar 112 with a 210. That's a punchy setup.

EQ-wise, try backing off on the bass, and boost some low and high mids (keeping the "mid" mids flat, assuming you have a 5-band EQ).

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wouldn't say that our current run of bass cabs qualifies as tight, but you might want to check out the old school Mesa/Boogie Diesel series cabs. They used EVs (mostly), and were very tight cabs. It takes a certain finess to make them sound good, as they are pretty revealing about the character of the player; you can't hide sloppy playing with these cabs! They're pretty heavy for the most part, but many people here on TB are willing to put up with it for the tone they get out of them.

14. Have you tried the Ampeg SVT-810E? I've always thought that it had a tight sound (much more so then the HLF series of cabs). I was less then impressed with the response from this cab on a 5-string bass, however.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yep; I'd second that MB recommendation.

Also, the Schroeder 410 has a very tight, fast transient attack throughout its entire range, down to at least low 'B' -- overall very good, balanced sound, and fairly efficient (with excellent sonic projection/throw) in a 23"x23"x16", 78 lb, 4ohm package.

16. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks alot guys. I'll let you hear what I come up with. I also really want to try a Ampeg SVT reissue amp, with some 4x10" ampeg cab or something.

I did a mistake not trying alot of gear before I bought the SVT 4 Pro w/ the aguilar cabs.

Greetings from Norway,
    -Hoel

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm sorry, i can't read the title of this thread without chuckling...........hehe...........sorry, i know that's really inappropriate. I.............hehe..................can't help it...............the darn port hole on my bag end 112 is about the right size.................hehe..................oh ick......... :p

but seriously, i'm not surprised that you found the hartke most to your liking considering what you're after
    you want a "tight" controlled low end. Sort of like a british B&W home audio speaker. I can see why aguilar isnt doin you any good. I dont think you'll like ampeg either. I would say bergantino or epifani 1x12's might be some of your best bets but i dont know what you can get your hands on over there.
    You're really going to have to try a lot of cabinets - i play bag end mostly, i like a very "tight" sound as well.