1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tight fitting Fender Jazz Bass Case, is it safe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theRocco, Nov 13, 2017.

1. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    Just wanting to know what the experience around here says about a Tight Fitting Fender Jazz Bass Case (or for that matter the Precision Bass case), is it safe for extended use?

I imagine a super-tight fitting case is safe for your bass and is a good thing, at least for basic transport to and from gigs, rehearsals and trips to your tech and luthier for set-ups, as the instrument will be immobilized inside the case, but is it really OK for the neck to be held so tightly like this for everyday use?

I usually leave my instruments in floor stands (a Hercules for the off-set Jazz) or in a Swing Tree hook on the wall. I see no problem with hanging guitars and basses from the neck, never had an issue, and sometimes put an old cotton sock on the parts that touch the Nitro finish--but winter is coming and I'd like to put the basses into their cases, if only for particularly cold nights when the heater is on.

The case is so tight, I worry that it could damage the bass for extended time use.

Any chance of re-setting the Truss Rod?

Any danger of the neck shifting in the pocket?

Here's a picture of a new Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass Case. It looks great and the bass does fit, but as the case is new it's really a super tight fit and you really have to push the headstock down hard to get it in (and it really does take some effort to do this) and I worry it will harm the instrument:

normal_IMG_0916_28229.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. I don't think a tight fit at the headstock is likely to cause any damage.

If the material under the lining is styrofoam, (like my SKB made Fender branded cases), and you are concerned about a small tight spot at the tip of the headstock, you could crush the foam by pressing firmly with your finger to make some clearance in that area. I would also look at the other end where the strap pin meets the lining to see if a slight recess for the pin would allow the bass to fit better at the headstock end.

But, if the case was supplied by Fender with that bass, it should be a proper fit, and no adjustment should be necessary.

3. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    Well, the bass came with a Gig Bag as it's the Road Worn series Jazz. The case I got at Musician's Friend, the Deluxe Fender Jazz Case (Made by G & G) with Plush Lining. It's made specifically for the Fender Jazz, has the logos on the case. I also got one for my Precision and the Jazz case is a couple inches bigger than the one for the Precision--they are not interchangeable if anyone wants to know. (Of course, you can put the smaller Precision bass instrument into the large Jazz Bass case but it would be a little too loose.)

I did really worked my thumb into the area, top and bottom, to help soften the area up first, but man--it's not easy on the thumbs!

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO as long as the case is sufficiently padded then a tight fit shouldn't be a problem.

I would imagine that you can damage an instrument even in a padded case if it can move around on impact.

5. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    I know it seems silly, but I really want to know if it's safe for the neck to be held so tightly like this.

And, not really a rant, just an observation about how life can be funny regarding things like this: that the Jazz bass has been around for like 57 years and we're having a discussion about a getting a good-fitting case, it's not like it's a brand new design.

Also, try to find a floor stand to accommodate the off-set body--I finally bought an expensive Hercules stand just to solve it! Funny, in this present, modern age I want everything just perfect--in the old days when the Jazz bass first came out they probably didn't worry about stands--just leaned their instrument against the wall--that seemed to work fine for the first 50 years! And, I guess Jaco didn't even use a case...

bonruiz likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've done just fine keeping offset-bodied Jazz basses on this stand;
    Between the adjustable neck, the tilt-able fork the body sits on and the rubber safety-strip to keep the neck in place (in case someone bumps into it), it gets the job done quite nicely. However, if the foam rubber interacts poorly with a vintage/nitro finish, then that would rule the Proline stand out.

For a decent case, I have yet to be let down by SKB. And if you get it from a Guitar Center location, you can easily return it.