Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tight, Heavy Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by old_skool, Feb 2, 2002.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Myself and a friend where trying to figure out how to get a super heavy, tight sounding tone (guitar and bass) like the tone on Anal Cunts version of American Women. I really hope I’m not breaking forum rules, I just couldn’t think of a way to get around the name of the band. It was important to have the name of the band and song because this tone is very distinct. I know crust isn’t everyone’s style of music, I’m new to it myself. Id be surprised if anyone else here has ever heard of the song. If you haven’t heard it DL it please. Any help is appreciated. If the mods feel that this is totally inappropriate feel free to remove it. I apologize in advance if this is the case.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I hope no one has a problem with it. That's simply the actual name.

Could you elabortate on "tight"??? It may mean a very compressed sound (that's the engineer's job). Or it could mean a seamless, thick, tone like a nu metal band where the bass and the guitar tones aren't really distinct because of the drop D tuning and all the overdrive.

Then there's "traditional tight" like one of James Brown's bands or the legendary Muscle Shoals studio guys.

Maybe it's just me, but the "tight" thing threw me.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Rick, If you have a DLing program you should check it out. That would be the easiest way for you to understand what Im talking about. The tones are distinct, but I think it is in a drop tuning. The guitar does seem to have a lot of distortion. The tone doesnt however sound like a nu metal band. I really wish I could be more discriptive but I dont think I can.