Tight Punch: Bag End 15 vs. Avatar 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Bag End 15 -- better quality cab

5 vote(s)
  2. Avatar 212 -- 12's are tighter than a 15

8 vote(s)
  1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm trying to decide what to put under my Avatar 210. I'm looking for a tight sound that will cut through with clear midrangy punch. I hear the Bag End S15-D is quick and punchy for a 15, but would it make me happier than an Avatar 212.

Volume between the two isn't a concern. I've got plenty of wattage. Cost is also not a concern. Also, I only play 4-strings.
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I used a Bag End S15D as my primary gig cab for a couple of years and I loved it. It was great for small, medium and large size clubs but would be a little challenged in very large indoor or outdoor venues. But then so would the Avatar 212 (but you could push the 212 a little louder). Tonally I prefer the Bag End 15 for exactly the reason you talk about...mid range punch. The fact that Bag End is 30 lb lighter than the Avatar 212 is, to me, a huge factor.
  3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. Keep in mind I'll also have a 210 sitting on top of whichever I choose.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    That said, I would absolutely choose the Bag End 115. That is a much better stack with the 210 vesus the 210/212. Terrific all 'round flexibility.
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    For the last year or so I've been using a Avatar 2x12 by it self and for larger gigs I add the Avatar 2x10 all I can say is you cant go wrong with the 2x12 its a great cab.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Bag End S15D is probably the punchiest 15 out there. It has great mids, and low end. But, it doesn't have the low lows like other 15s do. I don't have the Avatar 12s, but I do have an Aguilar GS112. The Aguilar actually has more lower end than the Bag End. BTW: These two make an awesome combination.

2 GS112s deliver an unbelieveable amount of low end, but I would characterize them as warm more than punchy. From what I understand, the 212 is not designed to be as deep as 2 112s. It has a more pronounced midrange than 2 112s.

If you are looking for quick and punchy, the Bag End s15-D is a great cab. In some ways it reacts more like a 10 than a 15. Since you already have a tweeter on your 2x10, not having one the Bag End shouldn't make a big difference. Keep in mind that the Bag End is smaller and lighter than most 15s. It might look a little awkward to have the 2x10 sitting on top of the 1x15. If this doesn't bother you, then go for it.

The Bag End as a stand-alone has a great sound. I use it to get a vintage tone, and the sound it makes when you run a P Bass with flatwounds through it is just heavenly.
  7. jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    the B212 has more bottom end than a single S15D but if you
    stack 2 S15D's it sounds awesome. both single avatar &
    double bagend setups are good choices. you could also try
    using the 2x10 set vertically on top of the S15D & you'll get
    a nice balance but not a ton of down low bottom. i've tried
    all these combinations but it all depends on room conditions & whether you have pa support as to which works better. i've been gigging with the B212 lately & it's a great stand-alone.
  8. I'm going to go with jive1 on this in regards to the warmth over punch of my avatar 212, I think the 212 handles a great range of tone but you need some tens to really tighten it up. I think 410 and 212 combo would be kickin'. The both the avatar 210 and 212 are great cabs, the 212 is mofo heavy though for sure, get the caster option ( I didn't).
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Meh it isn't that heavy, atleast not as heavy as the B410, that almost broke my back today.
  10. Yeah I guess it's just the stairs I have to climb!
    It's not as heavy as a Marshall half stack I'll give you that.
  11. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Bag End will hold the 210. It looks a little unusual, but it works.
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Hey, you stole my setup! ;) Well, one of my setups, anyway.

Haven't played the 212 or any 12 for that matter so I can't comment on that. But the BE S-15D is truly remarkable for what it is. I've been using two for more low end, but now that I'm playing more outdoors festivals, I've aquired a SWR Big Ben for more bottom end.

2 Bag Ends underneath that Avatar would look pretty good! Not that expensive used either.
  13. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Dr. Bass 210 cabs are 5 inches less wide. Might be a better chioce for sitting on a small Bag End cab.
  14. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The Bag End and Avatar stack is going to look a bit silly. Personally, since you say that money isn't an object, I'd just go for something completely different. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Avatar 2x12 for overall sound ( it's punchy but not overly deep on the sub lows ) and the Bag End for the light weight and smaller size ( also punchy but not as loud and not very deep on the sub lows either ). According to the stats, the Bag End is about as sensitive as 2 Avatar 2x12's... but I'm skeptical.
  15. jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    just got back from playing an outdoor job at a classic truck show & i used my B212 with a peavey 210tx on top. matches
    up good & it has no peavey emblems on the front. i was running both these 4 ohm cabs parallel & was able to control the individual speaker volume which balanced out quite nice.
    i could bring the 210 down if it got too hot & pump up the 212 since it has a lot of balls. 2x12 & 2x10 seems to be a real good setup for large clubs & outdoors for me. worthwhile trying if you haven't yet.